My first Dauntless Christmas

Tris' POV

"What is that?" I asked pointing at the large tree in our apartment.

"It's a Christmas tree," Tobias answers laughing. I don't get what's so funny.

"A what?" I ask.

"A Christmas tree. We decorate it and put presents under it and on Christmas day, December 25th we open them. It's a centuries old tradition," he explains.

"Okay. So with what do we decorate it?" I ask.

"Here," he shows me three large boxes with Christmas ornaments, tinsel in white and red and lights.

He sets up the tree close to the window and grabs the lights, rounding the tree from top to bottom, leaving space between the rows of light, probably for the colored tinsels.

While he is doing that I carefully take out the ornaments and place them on the kitchen table, examining each one of them. They all seem knew to me and I momentarily wonder if this his first Christmas tree as well.

"Tobias?" I ask and he stops what he is doing looking at me. "Did you have a Christmas tree before?"

"Abnegation, remember," he says pointing at himself. I roll my eyes. Of course I know that. While growing up in Abnegation no kid was allowed to celebrate Christmas, let alone have a Christmas tree or God forbid presents.

"I know that," I say sighing dramatically, which makes him laugh heartily. I love it when he laughs. He is always so serious and stern looking, so Four, but when it's just the two of us his just my sweet, loving, romantic Tobias. God, I love this man so much. "What I meant was, did you have a Christmas tree the past two years, since joining Dauntless?"

"No," he answers matter-of-factly.

"Why not?" I ask handing him a red tinsel.

"I didn't feel like celebrating. Before you came I didn't care much about anything or anyone. But that has changed. I have changed. You have changed me. For the better," he walks toward me and wraps me in his arm, resting his chin on my head, while I listen to the steady beat of his heart. "I love you, Six."

"I love you too, Four." We stay like this for a little while longer, just enjoying the closeness.

"We should finish the tree before supper time," he says pulling away from me.

We continue decorating until there are no more ornaments left. Tobias turns on the Christmas lights and I'm completely mesmerized by them. I've never seen anything more beautiful than this Christmas tree. My first Christmas tree. No. Tobias's and my first Christmas tree. I smile brightly and he notices my good mood.

"What made you so happy?" he asks me before placing a soft kiss to my right cheek.

"You. You always make me happy. But right now this Christmas tree. I was just thinking this is our first Christmas tree and our first Christmas and I am so happy that we experience this together," I say emotion thick in my voice.

"I know. I'm happy we can experience this together. And so many other things. I have to say, I can't wait for December 25th to come," he says, just as choked up as I am.

"Me neither."

Damn. Gifts. I still need to buy gifts. I have to make a list so that I won't forget anyone. Tobias seems to notice the shift in my mood and asks me about it.

"What is wrong?"

"Uhm, I was just now realizing I have to get gifts for all our friends," I say bashfully.