3] Thief

Chapter Three
|Thief|

I looked over to my manager that was busy interacting with the customers. He caught my gaze and nodded at me before going back to work. I smiled at the rest of the customers in line before turning around and heading to the 'staff only' door. I shrugged the apron that all staff at the cafe had to wear and folded it neatly before placing it into my locker. Everyone had their own. I pulled my school uniform out and buttoned up my shirt and slipped into the school pants. After tying the tie around my neck and slid my belt on, I checked my reflection in the mirror. I stared at myself for a good minute before shaking my head and looking away. Why was I even looking at myself?

I picked up my bag and slung it over one shoulder. I walked over to the door and pushed it open. Jae Sun turned around at the sound of the door opening and raised an eyebrow. He saw my face and he let his eyebrow fall back to place. I stifled a laugh at his facial expression before clearing my throat and walking out. I ended up in front of the counter and walked up to the manager.

"Thanks for your hard work Jungkook-ssi," he nodded at me over the counter.

I flashed a smile, "No worries. I'll be back at my next shift."

"You better," he gave me a stern look before breaking out into a laugh.

I laughed along with him. Jae Sun was a really kind manager. He wasn't the strict, mean type but he wasn't overly lenient or nice. He was in between which makes him a special manager. He shooed me by waving his hands away to indicate I was free to go. I bowed my head towards him and turned to go. I was just about to step outside when someone's slight movement caught the corner of my eye. I looked over and saw Soomin sitting there with her macaroon half eaten and iced coffee a quarter filled. My feet were almost going to lead me to her but I resisted the urge in case I turned out to be creepy. I sighed and made my way out to the fresh air.

I stole a glance at the sunset. It was really pretty and orange though I had to squint to see. I squeezed my eyes shut from the brightness and turned away. I laughed at myself for looking at the sun and walked away from it. Not long after though I heard a shriek coming from behind. I twisted my head back and tried to see who it was. I saw the outline of a girl and another tall masculine figure trying to snatch her bag away from her. Startled, I froze on the spot. My brain wasn't processing what was happening.

"LET GO OF ME!" came a high-pitched scream.

The other figure however didn't respond to her request. Finally overcoming my shock, I ran as fast as I could towards them and aimed straight for the tall guy. I jumped onto him trying to free them apart yet it didn't do anything. I leaned down and bit his hand until he let go of the bag. Curious, I looked over at the owner of the bag and saw a shaken up Soomin. She avoided my gaze and continued to look down at the floor.

"Thanks so much," her voice barely audible, "Jungkook-ssi."

My heart skipped a beat when she called out my name softly. Surprisingly, she remembered my name. And at that moment I remembered the culprit. I looked over my shoulder and saw him running down and rounding a corner into a dodgy alleyway.

"No worries, now just wait here while I try and go figure out who that rude person was," I told her quickly before running after him.

I followed his footsteps and caught up with him. He leaned against the brick wall panting heavily. I strode over and stood in front of him with my arms crossed and an angry look on my face. He slowly turned his head up to look at me in the eyes. When his face came into view, my eyes widened.

"Hyung?" I called out, shocked and surprised.

"I'm sorry," he whispered quietly and hung his head in shame.

I stared at him not expecting this at all. I placed my two hands on his shoulders and shook him till his eyes met mine again.

"Why? WHY?" I questioned him with tears welling up in my eyes.

He just shook his head and returned his gaze to the floor. My mouth hung open and a tear escaped from my eye as I continued to stare at him.

"How could you this?" I asked again hoping he could give me some kind of answer.

"I'm sorry," his voice cracked and a few tears dropped to the floor leaving a wet patch.

"Hyung! How can you set such an example in front of me?!" I yelled at him out of frustration and anger while shaking him violently again.

This time he looked at me before replying, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Who are you? What's your name? Tell me!" I demanded as another tear streamed down my face.

"Jeon Junghyun," he answered and balled his hand into a fist.

"For goodness sakes hyung! Yes, that's right! You're my brother damn it!" I released my grip on him and punched the brick wall next to us.

The very person I have looked up to all this time was going to steal a high school girl's bag. And what's worse when it's your own brother trying to steal from your classmate?

I shot him a glare before punching the wall once again, "DAMN IT!"