If you get there before I do

"Grandpa Jeremy. What's this?" Jeremy's only grandson held up his last note he'd ever gotten for his love, Mike. Mike had died in an accident related to work. An animation has gotten him and stuffed him into a suit. Jeremy never got to say goodbye.

I read a note my grandma wrote back in 1923
Grandpa kept it in his coat and he showed it once to me
He said, "Boy, you might not understand but a long, long time ago
Grandma's daddy didn't like me none but I loved your grandma so"

Jeremy smiled softly and took the note for his little Mikey. "Your Grandfather wrote this to me before he had died."

"How did grandpa die, Grandpa?" the boy asked a lot of questions.

"He's died in an accident at his work place." Jeremy said softly. He hated thinking about the last call he and Mike had just hours before he was killed.

We had this crazy plan to meet and run away together
Get married in the first town we came to and live forever
But nailed to the tree where we were supposed to meet instead
I found this letter and this is what it said

The little boy looked sadly at his grandfather and crawled up in to his lap. "Could you tell me about him?"

Jeremy hesitated for a moment then he sighed, "sure kiddo." Jeremy started to tell little Mikey about the love of his life that had meant so much to him.

"He was my world and he meant everything to me. The morning he died I got a call from our shared work station only to be informed..." Jeremy stopped for a moment to wipe his tears, "That my Mike was killed. I never got to say goodbye..." He was now openly sobbing.

If you get there before I do, don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be but I'm not gonna let you down
Darling, wait and see
And between now and then 'til I see you again
I'll be loving you, love me

"Grandpa don't cry..." Mikey whispered softly, "You'll see him again soon. I promise." Mikey cried to cheer up his crying grandfather. He felt bad knowing he had caused his grandfather to talk about his lost love. Jeremy hugged his grandson closer to his chest.

"You are so much like him kid..."

I read those words just hours before my grandma passed away
In the doorway of a church where me and grandpa stopped to pray
I know I'd never seen him cry in all my 15 years
But as he said these words to her, his eyes filled up with tears

Jeremy pulled out the note and looked it over.

Jeremy,
There's a high chance you won't read this until it's too late. I don't think I'm going to survive the night. The animations are acting up badly and they're getting closer. Please if I don't make it to see you again be happy.
Yours truly,
Mikey

Jeremy smiled through his tears and put the note down again.

If you get there before I do, don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be but I'm not gonna let you down
Darling, wait and see

'If you get there before I do, don't give up on me. I'll meet you when my chores are though. I don't know how long I'll be but I'm not going to let you down. Darling, wait and see...'

'And between now and then 'til I see you again
I'll be loving you, love me.'

And between now and then 'til I see you again
I'll be loving you, love me
Between now and then 'til I see you again
I'll be loving you, love me

I'll see you soon my dear Mikey.

(Jeremys grandson is named Mike as well. Just throwing that out there now. I liked this song and thought it would work. I like how it turned out.)