Chapter 6: Riots

4.4.537

The sun was blemished by the clouds, but I could still feel a hint of its warmth. The sea continued to send drops on my window, leaving behind white residue.

I breathed and closed my eyes, leaving nothing but the sound of my lungs and the water. Silas and I got home in the morning, sneaking through the back of the estate. I was exhausted, my legs were sore, but in a seren type of way. I kept waking as I attempted to reclaim my sleep, but every time I did I was only a few minutes away from the last. It must've been the adrenaline still rushing through my blood, the excitement of sneaking away from home.

I looked at the lock.

6:40 a.m.

Not time for breakfast just yet.

I tried to sleep longer, staring at the horizon from my window as a way to ease my mind to slumber. Just when I managed to drift off again, I was awoken by the sound of clattering in the hallway.

I looked at the clock.

9:30 a.m.

I've nearly missed breakfast?

How?

It felt like I hadn't closed my eyes at all. I got up and hurridly dresses myself in something bland. I sped up towards the staircases, trying to hurry to the dining room before Roland would notice. I turned into the lobby, just as Julian was exiting out of his room. He had a Bloodmoon in one hand; a type of cigar that gave off a red color vapor, and a glass of orange juice in the other.
He smiled when he saw me, and raised his glass up greet me,"Good morning Kido. Roy was just on his way to bring you breakfast."

"Don't worry, I'm going downstairs right now."

"Don't wear yourself out," Julian advised, raising the cigar to his lips, "Roland doesn't expect you to join us."

"I'm feeling well enough to join," I discerned, "I should head down there right away."

"Hold on there Kaur..." Julian paused, his green eyes locked onto mine. He tugged me close by my sleeve, his face stern and serious. I was confused, but followed his instructions. He took a deep breath and continued, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I lied.

"You sure?"

I shifted on my foot, "What are you trying to get at Julian?"

"I just want to make sure you're alright. I...-I feel at fault for not seeing you last night."

"fault?"

"Yeah. I should've stepped in..."

"Julian no." I shook my head.

"Come on... I haven't exactly been the most persistent older brother."

"Please, I don't want to talk about it."

"Well we should. Yesterday was uncalled for."

"It's fine."

"We all make mistakes. I don't want you to stop being a kid."

"Do you really care, or is it because Roland put you up to it?"

"No," Julian insisted, "This has nothing to do about him."

I glared at him, but allowed my muscles to ease, "I just want to be alone." I spoke earnestly.

Julian creased his lips. I didn't wait for his reply. I turned and hurried down the stairs, my adrenaline rushing through me. I heard him mutter my name, but I didn't look back.