Chapter 4: Guests

3.30.537

The sound of plates and footsteps echoed through the mansion. Everyone was busy; counters were cluttered with food.
Cecelia handed me a potato and ordered me to peel it.

Eager to be productive, I dropped the shavings into a bowl as she ordered. Grace, another maid of ours stood next to me, doing her own part in the process. When I was done skinning, I placed the potatoes onto her plate so she could dice them down. The routine was relaxing, despite the cacophony of pans being maneuvered around us. Operatic music played lightly in the background; violins in sync with everyone's movement.
I didn't want to think about my reasons for being here. I wanted to forget everything, to subside my own condemns. I tried all other roads to get around my responsibility, but Roland was steadfast on his decision. This was my only option to get some peace.

Another maid came up behind, and placed another tray of potatoes in front of me. "Keep up the good work Kiyo." She said, before bumping her way over to the oven.

"Kaur!" Cecelia called, "I need you to go help Boa dress and season the meat. We need it to be presentable."

"Yes ma'am." I answered, placing down my work. I hurried to the other side of the kitchen, where Boa prepped me on how to tenderize steak. He handed me a mallet, and told me to hit it until it felt "soft as a baby". I looked at him skeptically, before I started battering the meat. We had to go through ten or so portions until we could move on, and soon my forearm was beginning to ache.
Once the steaks were alleviated, we marinated them in a special sauce, composed of red wine, soy sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and some other ingredients that were labeled "secret".

We placed them into a pan before wrapping them in saran wrap, then stuffed them in the fridge.

"Good job Kaur. I think we're good for now," Boa congratulated, "Thanks."

"You're welcome." I smiled.

"I have more work for you!" Cecelia sang, appearing suddenly with a fresh apron. He placed it on me, and watched me cleans my hands repetitively in the sink. She said I couldn't have a single residue on my hands for this new work. I sighed, but didn't object to her activities.

Cecelia and I swept the dining room ourselves. This was her favorite part of her job. She said decorating was an art that needed to be taken delicately and precisely. We cleaned the long table twice before she felt content enough to place the lace table cloth. She then placed down some matching table matts under the plates, cups, candles and embroidered vases, which were filled with various flowers. She had me place refined quartz pieces around each vase, to add an elegant touch. The chairs were decorated with white chiffon, tied as a ribbon in the back.

Then we set the gold trim plates, and then the silverware, too which she slapped my hand with a spoon whenever I set the order incorrectly. After the cups, and wine glasses, and napkins were all said and done, she stood back and pulled me by my sleeve.
"What a beautiful sight." She sighed.

"You've done a masterpiece Cecelia." I smiled.

"Oh Kaur." She bloomed, touching my cheek, "Thank you."

I nodded my head and held her hand to my face, "You're welcome Mrs. Cecelia."

"You're such a good boy," She continued, giving a lipstick covered kiss to my forehead. "Now! Lets go get a whip of that dessert. Come, come, come." She rushed, pushing me back into the kitchen.

The other maids continued setting the food, while Cecelia and I sat at the island counter enjoying a slice of cheesecake. She watched me, her grin faint as whatever it was pondering on her mind. As I took a sip of strawberry milk, she grabbed my other hand.