2

The Reaping. It was here. 2pm was near, my heart pumped rapidly, nervously. I wore considerably boring reaping clothes; A little greeny blue dress, silky and light which reached my knees, matching little pumps and curly locks weaved with bluey ribbon.
'Nervous? 'Cause I am. Every year I worry so much 'bout this, you know.' Heather, a pretty ginger girl said to me. I gave her a weak smile. Heather smiled.
'I understand you don't want to talk, that's okay, really. I just wish we knew that this wasn't going to be out last chat for definite, that the whole of Panem could just...what's the word?...unite!' Heather mumbled.
'I know. I'll miss you if one of us go.' Was my quick response. That anthem began to play. The Capitol seal was projected. I stood straighter, ignoring the knot in my stomach.
The heavy emerald green curtains opened and out strutted our escort, Ivy Lester.
'Why, welcome, welcome District Four, home to so many Victors!' She chirped in her pompous Capitol accent, emphasizing so.
'The 69th Hunger Games is upon us. Oh goody. Let's roll on. Shall we start the reaping?' Ivy sang out, to the audience who roared in approval. Victors, male and female, sat in throne like chairs, glaring down at the hubbub.
'Happy Hunger Games! May the odds ever be in your favour!' Ivy shrieked, geeing the onlookers to a frenzy.
'Shall we take out the names?' She squealed. Cries of yes. Members of the Capitol would pay large sums of money to watch the reapings, and this year they clustered to around one hundred and fifty.
'Ladies first then. Who will I please?' She whooped. Her hands were groping around the bowl, her long, perfectly manicured talons clinking of the glass.
'Aha! Our female tribute is....'
My heart rate increased rapidly.
Not me. Not me. Not me. Not me.
I caught my breath and bit my lip. Heather and I made eye contact. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it, also scared.
'...HEATHER HIDESDALE!'
No. No. I - no. Heather burst out crying. I clenched my fist and quickly took to the stage.
'I volunteer as tribute..' I yelled difiantly and calmly made my over to Ivy. I grabbed the piece of  paper from her hand, ripping it in half.
'N-not for me!' Squeaked Heather. I waved my hand, gesturing her it was okay.
'JESSIE! JESSTURE! MY LITTLE JESS! NO! LEAVE THEM JESS! COME HERE!' My mum screamed. Tears streamed down her face.
'GO KILL YOURSELF PRESIDENT SNOW! WE WILL REBEL! WE WILL TAKE. YOU. DOWN!' She hollered. She was brave, too brave. People sucked in breaths. We ran to each hugging.
'I love you!' We said it in sync. I nearly cried. But I couldn't. I can't be weak, I told myself.
BANG
Blood soaked my hands. But I didn't feel any pain. It wasn't my blood. So it was..
My mother collapsed, shaking, pale. Her eyes shone bright.
'Mum..' I sobbed. 'No...'
'I..I love so much. So much. I love you.' She gasped.
'I love you!' I whimpered.
Her eyes turned glassy. Her body fell limp in my arms, soaking me in blood.
'No..' I croaked, burying my face in chest like I used to. When it still rises and fell. But it didn't move. And that's what hurt the most. She was dead.
Dead.
I heard voices but my mind was fuzzy and numb. A sharp jab in my arm. As I lost conciseness, thoughts hit me..
She's dead...Am I joining her...Did they just kill me...I hope they did..I be with mum that way..,