Chapter 3

A single figure wandered aimlessly through the dark streets of the Town of Beginnings.

After the dreadful announcement from Kaiaba, everyone had either set off towards the next town in hopes of defeating the game or stayed in the inns of the town, trying to comprehend what had happened.

Once the announcement had ended and Kaiaba evaporated back through the hexagonal pattern in the sky and the crowd started to disperse, Olive, Sakura, and Azul had lingered in the plaza. They stayed for what felt like forever until Azul received a message from one of his friends.

"Look, I have to go." He said, standing up. "See you later?"

"Yeah." He started to walk off.

"Azul."

"Yeah?"

Sakura shakily stood up and walked to him.

"Good luck, I guess. And don't die, okay?"

He smiled. "Like I'm gonna do something like that!" He said cheekily before running off.

Now it was dark out, and Sakura was reflecting as she walked.

I wonder what he was thinking, making a game like this, trapping us all inside? And to think I almost didn't play. Kinda wish I hadn't.

"Why, Kaiaba?!" She shouted into the nothingness.

Frustrated, Sakura looked at her surroundings, realizing she had wandered out of town, and into the fields around it.

As she walked, there was a rustling on the crest of the hill behind her.

"Damn," she muttered under her breathe as she pulled out her sword as quietly as possible.

The rustling drew closer, and she swiftly turned around and slashed her sword at the thing that was following her.

Clang

Before the petite girl stood a boy with shaggy, black hair and a round, child-like face. He was a few inches taller than her and he wielded a simple one handed sword.

"Careful," the boy said. "It's alright. I'm not gonna hurt you or anything."

Sakura lowered her sword, but did not sheath it.

"Yeah," she muttered warily.

"Sorry if I startled you." The boy sheathed his sword and extended his hand to her.

"I'm Kirito," he said with a smile.

"Sakura," she said reluctantly before shaking his hand.

"So, what are you doing out here so late, Sakura?" Kirito questioned.

"I can ask you the same thing, Kirito," she retorted.

"I'm just out on a walk."

"At night?"

"I prefer taking walks at night because it's quieter and easier to think."

"Less people. I go on walks at night to get away from people and have time to myself to think."

Sakura sheathed her sword and sat down on the crest of one of the many rolling hills, but did not relax. Kirito cautiously sat next to her.

"Do you think it was difficult?" Sakura asked. "Trapping us all in the game, I mean. It seems impossible, or rather, seemed. But here we are."

"Well actually, it's pretty simple. All he had to do was erase and rewrite the lines of code that operated the log out function and player deaths."

Sakura laid back in the grass.

"Do you regret logging in today?"

"I don't know. I guess, a little."

"Part of me does. But..."

"But what?"

"Part of me is glad we got trapped in here. Glad I don't have to go back."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, when you think about what happens when our hp hits zero, it's not much different than when that happens in the real world. For me, we didn't really leave reality, it just changed, if that makes any sense."

"Well, yeah. I guess that's one way of looking at it."

Kirito leaned back and the two lay watching the stars.

"Well, it's getting late. I had better go. My friend's probably worried sick."

Sakura stood up, followed by Kirito.

"Well, it was nice meeting you, Kirito," she said while shaking his hand.

"Yeah, you, too. How about you add me as a friend, then whenever you need to talk, you can just message me."

"Okay."

After a few moments, a friend request box appeared in front of Sakura. She pressed "accept".

"Alright," Kirito said. "If you ever need anything, just message me."

"Okay. Good night, Kirito!"

"Good night!"

---------

Sakura arrived at the inn and entered the room she was sharing with Olive.

"Hey, I'm back."

She glanced over at the chair where her friend was out cold.

"Hey," she said softly while gently shaking Olive, attempting to wake her up. "If you're gonna sleep, you should go to bed."

Olive did not move.

"Hey!" She said louder. "Get up and go to bed."

Still no response.

"Olive? Olive!"