Chapter 6

Everything went back to the way it was. The world moved on after the catastrophe that was SAO was released. After a month, most people kept going with their lives. But not everyone.

The families of those who were trapped have not moved on. They still watch and wait for their friends and loved ones to wake up and come back.

Every day, for the last month, Brian went to visit them. No matter what came up, he was always there, every day, without fail.

It was the first of February, the weekend. Teens hung out with their friends, talked, joked around, had fun, all while staying warm during the cold weather. At least, most of them were.

Brian was walking to the hospital to visit the Ashley and Erika once more. Just like he did every Saturday after that day.

He was walking down the street, head down, recalling what had happened yet again, and wondering how they were doing. Suddenly, he felt someone bump into him. The person gasped and stumbled backwards. Brian looked up and saw that he had run into one of his classmates, Misa.

She looked up at him. They stared at each other for a second while she processed what had happened. Once she realized it was Brian she ran into, her face turned red for embarrassment and she looked away.

"Uh.... S-s-sorry..." She mumbled as she put her head down and quickly walked away. Brian watched after her. I don't get why she's so timid all the time. She knows me, so you'd think she could look at me when she talks to me. At least once.

Then he continued walking, his shy classmate forgotten by the time he reached the hospital.

---------------

Two hours. He sat in Ashley's room for two hours.

"Guess I better get going," he told her as he packed his bag. Be leaned over and gently kissed her forehead before turning towards the door.

"Brian?"

He froze. Turned around. Ashley was there, sitting up in her bed, looking at him.

Thud.

"Ashley...?"

He ran over to her and hugged her.

"I'm back? Right?"

"Yes, you are," he sobbed. "I missed you so much."

"Brian." He pulled back from her embrace and looked her in the eyes.

"There's something I need to tell you. Something it didn't get to say before that day..."

"What is it?" He looked her in the eyes, in her brilliant green eyes.

"Brian, I--"

---------------

"Brian, dear, wake up. It's time to go home."

Brian bolted upright, awakened by his mother.

A dream. It was just a dream.

He looked down at Ashley, then turned to look at Erika. Both were laying there, just like they had been for the last month.

Without another word, Brian got up and walked to the door, worry and disappointment weighing heavy on his heart.