Chapter 4

The steady tapping of footsteps filled the waiting room. Brian was just one of the many people waiting at such a later hour to hear the news.

After SAO was launched, and the shock had worn off, all the gamers who were still alive were taken to hospitals and hooked up to life supporting machinery. Both Ashley and Erika were already there, but no one was allowed to visit because of the bustle as they tried to help as many people as possible.

Brian had already been there for three hours, waiting for the doctors to allow him to visit. Things had calmed down since he had arrived. There were no longer any people ring rushed through with nerve gear on their heads and most everyone was settled in.

Nerve gear...

That miraculous piece of technology went from being praised to being cursed in a matter of hours.

Finally, a nurse came up to Brian and told him that he could go back and visit them, and led him to their room. As requested by their parents, who were close friends, the girls were in the same hospital room, their beds next to one another.

Both of the girls' parents had left hours before, conceding to visit in the morning when things had hopefully calmed down. So Brian was there alone.

He pulled up a chair and sat it between the two beds. Brian looked over at Erika and patted her hand before turning to Ashley.

------------------

There was a gentle knock at the door before someone entered the room. It was about 4:00 Sunday morning and Brian had been at the hospital all night. His mother walked over to the beds and observed the girls before looking at Brian. He was asleep, sitting in a chair and resting his head on one of the girl's beds.

She leaned over and gently shook him awake, whispering, "Brian. Wake up honey it's time to go."

The boy stirred and she noticed that he was holding the girl's hand. He let go as he stood up.

He whispered "goodbye" as they left the room.