Chapter 1

"Annabelle. You are my oldest daughter. I need your help with the bills. Ever since your mother passed, Aunt Adelaide has given us an allowance. Now I don't want you to say anything to this to your siblings," He started. I nodded. "You will go to America and go to a good school and get a job that pays well. As for myself, your aunt has told me to find a new wife or else there is no allowance at all," Father started again. "Anything. I will do anything to help our family." I finished. "Well then, goodnight, Annabelle." Father said, before sitting back down in chair to continue filling out papers. "Goodnight." I replied before going up to the room that my brothers and sisters were in.

I walked by the room and unlike most nights with screaming, laughing, and yelling, all I heard was silence. By then, I knew something was wrong. I turned the rusty doorknob that made an irritable sqeaking sound. I opened the door and walked into the room. Chrisse turned her head away from Tora and looked at me with sad eyes. Everyone turned and gave the same look. Simon got up with an angered expression. He walked over to the giant window at the end of the room and stared out into the night. I followed him and stood next to him. "Simon? Are you alright?" I asked softly. Simon breathed in harshly, but made no attempt to have eye contact with me. We stood in an awkward silence. "Are you leaving us, Anna?" I heard Chrisse ask. I turned around walked towards her bed. I sat down on her bed and placed her in my lap. Tora sat next to me, along with Lily. I opned my arms and they all leaned into me. Simon turned away from the window and faced us. I opened my mouth to say something, but Simon cut me off. "Father is sending her to America." He said. "Simon, you know it's not what he wants to do. It's complicated," I explained. "It's not that complicated. He's going to send us off one by one," Simon shot back. "He's been under a lot of stress since-" Simon cut me off, again. "Since Mother died. He only cares about getting a new wife. All father turn like that when their wives die. They don't care anymore," Simon said, walking to his bed and crawling in. "Well ours does. He cares about all of us. Maybe it would be nice to have a new mother," I said. Simon rolled his eyes and turned so his back was facing the rest of us. "Don't you know anything about step-mothers?" Lilly asked. "Whoever he marries will be horrid and cruel to us. No one likes us," Eric complained. "I like you," I replied. "You're our sister, you have to like us," He said back. "You're right. But I don't have to like you. I just have to love you. Which I love all of you very, very much," I said. Tora and Lily moved from Chrissie's bed to their own so I could tuck Chrissie in her bed. I walked to Simon's bed first and kissed his forehead, which made him slightly smile. I gave everyone a kiss and a hug before closing the door. I sighed and leaned my back against the door. I closed my eyes for a minute before walking to my room.

I walked into my petite room and opened my dresser. I slipped on one of Mum's nightgowns. I got into my barely comfortable, small twin-sized bed. I stared up at the ceiling, counting the stains and cracks and thought about what was going to happen with Father and my siblings when I left. I rolled over on my side and drifted off into a dreamless sleep.