Chapter 4

1 Week Later

Father was talking with me and it turns out that I am leaving in a week for America. I was upset that I would have to leave my family, but I knew that Nanny McPhee would keep them in order. I wanted to see Jacob again, so I planned to go into town later that day. But first, I decided I would hang out with my siblings before I had to leave.

I picked out a plain simple, striped dress (picture above.) I didn't have many dresses. I had one that was from Aunt Adelaide for special occaitions. Most of my dresses were left by Mum and were too long for Tora. I slipped into the dress and put on my shoes. I walked downstairs to breakfast.

I walked down the creaky stairs into the kitchen. "Morning," I chripped. "Hey, Annie," Tora and Simon said, eating their scrambled eggs, along with my other siblings. I grabbed a plate off the table and sat down in between Simon and Eric. "What are your plans oday, guys?" I asked. "I don't know," Simon explained. I nodded. Father soon came in with a worried look. "Children, your great-aunt Adelaide is coming for tea today," Father announced. All of us groaned. Aunt Adelaide was nice until Mother died.  Her stuck-up and snobby side was exposed to us after it happned. "You will all have to stay around the house today," Father said. What?! No. I had to see Jacob today. I just felt something between us and I needed to figure out what it meant. "Father, I'm sorry, but I have plans today. I must go into town," I explained. All my siblings snickered and giggled. A blush rose to my cheeks, but it faded away very quick. "Annabelle, your aunt has some very important things to talk about," Father replied, hinting that it was about me going to America. Which going to America meant another thing. I needed to figure out Jacob and I before I left and I only had a week. I sighed and wished that things weren't so complicated. "Can I at least go out for the morning. I'll be back before Aunt Adelaide arrives," I begged. Father was deep in thought, but he finally gave in. "I suppose, but you must be back a half an hour before your aunt gets here." Father finished. I quickly finished eating and placed my plate back on the cooking table.

As soon as I said goodbye to my siblings and father, I was out the door. I ran as fast as I could into town. I was stopped by a force pushing me into a pile of clean hay on the side of the road. I looked up and was met by the familiar brown eyes of the one I had been searching for. I slightly chuckled as he helped me up. "We have to stop meeting like this," Jacob chuckled. I smiled back. "I know. I actually came to talk to you," I explained. "Okay. I was actully hoping you woud be coming into town today," he said, happily. "Walk with me and we'll talk," Jacob said. Inodded as we began walking down the streets. We talked small talk, slowly but surely getting to know each other. "Do you have any siblings?" Jacob asked. "Seven. Three brothers, four sisters. What about you?" I asked. "I have two older brothers," Jacob replied. We talked a little bit more before I realised that I had to be home in ten minutes. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. My great-aunt is coming to visit," I explained to Jacob. "It's okay. I'll walk you home," Jacob said. "Oh you don't have to," I replied. "But I want to. I need to make sure you get home safe." He insisted. I finally gave in. I felt butterflies creep their way into my stomach and a blush go to my face. What was happening to me?

I started walking home with Jacob. We kept walking until I heard the familiar sound of the small band that played on the streets. Jacob suddenly stopped waling and I turned to face him. "Dance with me," he said, smiling. I returned a smile and walked towards him. He extended his hand for me to take. I gladly took it while a blush creeped it's way to my face. We strated slow dancing until I felt a rain drop fall on my shoulder follwed by many more. It was pouring, but we didn't care. All we would think about was this moment. Time seemed to slow down completley as he spun me. The song stopped and he pulled me into his arms. I looked at him in the eyes and smiled. He smiled back and leaned in. Our lips smashed togther and were in perfect sync. We pulled away and started at each other. "Annabelle, I love you," Jacob said. "I love you too," I smiled. The rain soon stopped shortly after. We started walking back to my house hand in hand. When we got to the front door, I could see Father and Aunt Adelaide standing at the door. "Young lady, where have you been? You look absolutley dreadful," Aunt Adelaide scolded me. "I'm sory, Ma'am. I lost track of time," I expalined looking down at my feet. "Stand up straight, you discrace," she said with venom dripping from her voice. "I'm sorry. It wasn't Annabelle's fault. It was mine," I heard Jacob say. I lifted my head and looked towards him. "And you are?" Aunt Adelaide asked as Father gave me a confusing look. "I am Jacob, Annabelle's boyfriend," he explained. A blush went to my face before I could say anything else.