3

We all sit around the dim fire we were managed to light. I bit into a granola bar but my stomach was too upset to eat any more. I glanced up at the sky, now almost no light escapes the darkness. We probably spent two hours stepping over bodies collecting food, batteries, matches, and anything we thought we would need. I run my hand along the necklace Molly and I had worn since we were seven. They both have an M and an J on them, the M for Molly and the J for me, Jo. My friend Molly is dead. We were just out shopping like people do, then this happened. Well we don't exactly know what it is that happened. Lots of people are dead, and it's completely dark. It feels like one of those nightmares that when you wake up you feel so happy it was just a a dream. I pinch my arm with my painted nails and press my eyes shut. When I open them the same campfire meets my eyes and I huff, of course it's not a dream. I stand up and decide to go for a walk. I grab a flashlight and click it on.
"Where are you going?" The middle aged lady named Julia asks. We found her while we were out collecting food.
"For a walk, I want to see if my parents are okay." I know it's a pretty long walk to my house from the mall, but I have to do it.
"Really? We don't even know what's out there! Are you kidding?!" Her curly red hair bounces as she talks.
"I'm going! I'm not doing any good just sitting around a fire! I want to know what's going on and see if my family is okay!" The fact that she was arguing against me going made me want to go more.
"If you go, we can't come with you." The guy named Owen says.
"I don't care. I'll bring the food and flashlights I found and I'll be on my way."
"Are you sure? You could stay here until we know a little more about what's going on." I was getting pretty ticked off at this point.
"You guys can sit around the campfire roasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories, but I'm actually going to do something and figure out what the heck this is." I grab my bag and wave goodbye. The flickering light from the fire dances against my back as I leave. Suddenly I'm alone and a quick wave of panic washes over me. I know I probably just gave up the only safety I had in this newly dark world, but I had to find my family, it felt too weird just being with these strangers doing absolutely nothing.