4

My feet smack against the concrete as I run. I was in cross country so I can run a good five miles at a fairly fast pace. The occasional cricket cuts through the otherwise silent air. I hold my flashlight out in front of me. I hate having it on, wasting it's battery and drawing attention to myself, but I would also hate tripping and dying. I pass a small group of confused people. Someone grabs my arm.
"What's going on?!" He yells. I pull away but he keeps hold and a bunch of other loud people keep asking me what's happening.
"How should I know!!?? I just wanna get home!" I kick the guy as hard as I can on the shin and I am immediately released. I take off running again, leaving the group of panicking people to do whatever it is they're gonna do. I try to pace myself, but adrenaline is making it hard to control my breathing. I pass several other people, many standing by their cars wondering why they aren't working. I also pass a few bodies. My house is near the city so the closer I get, the more stopped traffic and people there are. Finally my legs are too wobbly and I have to stop running. There is still another 30 minutes ahead of me. I sit on the side of the road and suck in the cool air. I flick my flashlight off and take a sip from the bottle of water I packed.
  "Hello?" I hear someone ask from the road in front of me. I remain silent. "Do you have a flashlight? I can hear you breathing." What kinda super hearing kid is this? I feel the person trip over my foot.
   "Ouch!" I immediately cringe when I realize I just gave it away.
   "Ha! I knew you were there! Please, do you have a light?" I sigh in defeat and flick my flashlight on.
   "I have to conserve battery." I state flatly.
   "Oh, can I sit?"
   "Mhm." I mutter in response. I aim my flashlight at her face when she sits. She has bright red hair that falls in messy curls around her face. I can see her pupils dilate as my light shines rudely into her pale eyes.
   "Ahh!! Okay its cool you have a light and all but you can't do that!" She covers her face dramatically. I just roll my eyes.
   "So where are you going?" She asks out of nowhere. I can hear her popping her knuckles, ew.
   "Uh, to my house. I wanna make sure my family's okay."
   "Hm, where's your house?" Well that's not creepy.
   "It's about 10 minutes from the city..." I try to blink the sudden wave of exhaustion that's crept up my body.
   "Well, I'm going that way too, and well you have the light,  so could I tag along?" She says, every word getting slower and slower. "Ah, I feel, so, dizzy." She barely finishes the sentence before we both pass out to the suddenly cricket-less air.