8

"I locked all the windows." Amelia yells from the front of the house.
"Great, I got the doors." I say as I peak out of the curtains. Still pitch black.
"So are we gonna grab supplies and go somewhere or what?" Amelia asks walking up to the window.
"I don't see the point in that. I'm sure my parents will be back soon, so we may as well stay here where it's safe. What about your family?" I ask when I remember I'm not the only person in the world.
"They work in the city, and I don't think it'd be realistic going and looking for them right now."
I plop down on the couch. "This is crazy." I state simply. I'm suddenly aware of how tired I am. My legs are sore from all the running, and my eyes are heavy and burning. I kick my legs onto the couch and let myself drift off to sleep for now.
   I wake up to Amelia hyperventilating and panicking, again.
  "You do that a lot?" I ask with a yawn. Jeez this girl's a spaz. "What's wrong now?" I ask, trying not to sound too rude.
   "Everything is wrong I mean we are kind of under reacting to this whole situation!!" She answers between gulps of air. Ok well I don't want this girl to die so I have to do something.
  "Well panicking isn't going to help the situation, whatever the situation even is. We should just stay calm until, well until something happens." I say. That sounded a lot more comforting in my head. "How long was I asleep?" I ask, trying to change the subject.
  "I don't know, I fell asleep for a little while too, probably like three hours." Amelia answers, clearly still in a panic. I pat her awkwardly on the shoulder, I've never been very good at comforting people.
  "Well it's still dark." I mutter as I get up and walk over to the window. I begin to roam around the house, collecting things here and there that seem somewhat useful for the situation. Also I don't know what else to do other than keep busy.
  "Shh!" Amelia hisses out of no where.
   "What?" I whisper, a little bit freaked out.
   "Do you hear that?!" I strain to listen to whatever it is this girl is talking about, then I hear it. A mechanical sound, kind of like the sound of a remote control car cuts through the silent air.
   "What is that?" I ask. It's not like any machinery in my house is on, there's no freaking power. We reluctantly start shining our flashlights around the downstairs of the house, trying to pinpoint the strange noise.
   "Over here!!" Amelia yells from the dining room. I jog through the hallway and look at where the beam of her flashlight is pointing, at a tiny, round camera that definitely was not there before.