Chapter 15

Jasper POV

“I’m going after her” I clench my fists as my father surveys the deck. The ship took minimal damage from the cannon balls, but we were lucky.  We will still need to pull in to port and fix her up.  Still, the gypsies were giving us warning shots; it could have been worse.

My father’s perpetual scowl plastered on his worn face almost covers up the worry lines sneaking their way under his eyes. I know he cares for Annette.

“I’m going after her” I repeat this time being worthy enough for his attention.

“Alright” he says as I begin to argue.

“I’m going no matter what… wait… ‘alright’?” My father never gives permission especially to something like this. Annette chose to jump off the ship. Going after her means that I would have to leave the crew. It’s like I am choosing her over them. Maybe he cares for Annette just as I do.

“You leave now, you leave forever” My stomach drops. I don’t know why I expected love or compassion from him. His stern face doesn’t move and I try to remember him ever smiling.

“Fine” I turn and decide to find the only one in this blasted world that has ever given a shit about me.

I climb up into the crow’s nest. It’s hard to believe just a few days ago I was here with Annette, laughing and hugging each time a gust of wind tried to edge its way between us. First I need a plan.  As soon as we hit land, I’ll wait till dawn breaks and find Annette. Most of the crew will be preoccupied with women on land. They always are happy to squander thier money on the pleasures of land. I can slip out easily. This could work. 

But there’s one thing that I’d have to do. One thing that I absolutely don’t want to do before I leave for good.