Chapter 7

Jasper's sword falls from the beam across the cell as he readies for my attack.

It's one of our games, surprise attacking each other, but my retaliation never comes.

Regret floods Jasper's face and washes away his cool smirk. God, my face must be close to water works because Jasper's eyebrows knit together with worry. He unlocks the cell and pulls me close to him. My body fits into his and I turn away from my fantasy prince. Jasper is real.

His muscles flex under his shirt and I hear teeth grind together. A blush creeps up on my neck for some reason. The Prince and Jasper. Two different worlds should never meet like this.

What  is Gabriel thinking? Gabriel doesn't say anything and when I turn, I see why. Jasper's sword bubbles with two drops of blood from Gabriel's neck.

"What did you do to her?" Anger seeths from Jasper's words.

I quickly dodge in front of his sword throwing him off. My quick dismissal of his side has left him unbalanced, and I easily throw him back. The rhythm of our swordplay borders between entertainment and anger. I can see Jasper's questioning eyes with each swing. What's wrong? Tell me. Gasping together, I grip my sword tight. This battle will be an easy win for Jasper. Gabriel is my weak point and I can't win while protecting him. 

My laugh pierces the air, sharper than any sword, and I swallow the pain as I speak lies.

"Surprise. I thought my cute teary face would give me the upper hand this time. It's nothing. I just screwed up. I was trying to sell the prince, get a good penny from the castle."

Jasper looks at the prince and doesn't notice my sword shaking. But then again, he probably already knows from the fight  that the prince means more to me than my life.