chapter 3

Faith

Meghan walked up inside her closet, pulled out a blue skin-tight dress and held it up for me to see. I shook my head in disapproval, staring at the sheer skimpy material of the clothing. Blue had never really been her color.

"Just pick the red one," I sighed, slightly envious of the panoply of dresses she possessed. The price of half of those was probably higher than what the furniture inside my own bedroom had cost my parents ten years ago.

Nadine agreed with me, eagerly chewing down on a piece of red liquorice as she was sprawled onto Meghan's bed. Our blond friend smiled at our advice and pulled out the short fitted red gown from her wardrobe. She fetched out another dress and threw it at me. I blinked in shock, but managed to catch it mid-air to contemplate the sole option she was giving me to wear at tonight's lounge party.

A sleek beige long sleeved tube-dress had been thrown my way and Meghan, along with Nadine, urged me to try it on. I did as they said and walked over to the mirror as they squealed about how much they loved this look on me. For once, I actually agreed with them. The dress clung onto the shape of my body, without being too revealing, leaving just enough to the imagination.

Nadine jumped off from the bed and grabbed her makeup bag.

"If Chad doesn't notice how good you look, someone else probably will, so you should give whoever that someone will be a chance," she suggested, as she powdered her face with a brush, looking at me with a knowing smirk, through my reflection in the mirror she was staring at herself into.

"Are you hinting at someone in particular?" I asked, sarcastically, knowing damn well she was referring to Brendan.

It felt as if, since the beginning of times, Nadine had been set into convincing me to give Wenthward —as she liked to call him— the benefit of the doubt concerning his intentions which I had automatically assumed were bad. I had never known why, but a part of me had instinctually guessed that it was because she pitied him. A lot.

She probably pitied me too for not having a boyfriend in what felt like years, but being single wasn't a curse or an intermediary state waiting to filled by a relationship. Being single wasn't always fun, but it was a necessary stage that I needed to undergo if I wanted to be at peace with myself.

Meghan, on the other hand, despised Brendan's character as much as I did, and most people assumed it was because he once acted like a jerk towards her, for a reason no one seemed to really decipher. No one ever mistreated Meghan De Manico. She was the female equivalent of Brendan in school. They would've formed the golden couple, but Wenthward ruined it. He always found a way to ruin everything it seemed, but he was the least of my concerns.

"Let's go," Meghan had said after she slid inside her black heels and I got into my white sneakers.

The three of us marched downstairs and hopped into the cab we had previously called. He drove us to the chic lounge party our friend Mason threw together and we tipped him a reasonable amount before getting out of the taxi towards the venue.

It was a reasonable sized studio, inside of which two thirds of the walls were made out of glass and the rest were recovered with this brick-like material. The sight was breathtaking. We walked in, and heads immediately snapped our way.

Meghan's curvy silhouette highlighted by her slim red dress, her blond hair pinned upwards, Nadine's dark hair put up into a sleek bun, her long olive legs showcased by her extremely short black romper and I, in the beige dress which hugged my every feature. Needless to say we looked good.