1

"Dakota, we really have to study for this biology test if you want to earn at least a B." My eyes flickered to my best friend and back to the tv. "Ugh, okay, you're right Lily," I switched the tv screen off and opened up my book. "Alright, hit me," I looked up.

Lily, basically my other half, is quite pretty, but doesn't like to show it off to others. Her height on the other hand, well, she's short. But she's catching up to me, and I'm 5'4, which isn't so bad. She stands at about 5 and 3/4, so she's getting there. Pretty short for a senior, but that makes her special. And no, she's not a midget, if you were wondering. Right now she's helping me study, since she's on the honor roll. While I'm suffering from straight C's in all of my classes.

I glanced at her chestnut, short hair as I waited for a question. "Okay, what are the four initial stages of the embryonic development?" She looked up from her book expectantly at me. "Uh, can I get a pass?" "No! This is easy if you remember the main letters: M, B, G, and N, it'll be a piece of cake! Now tell me the stages."

I thought about the letters for a brief moment, quickly remembering. "It's the morula, the blastula, the gastrula, and the neurula stages!"
"Yes!" She threw her hands in the air, "That's right!" I wiped my forehead dramatically, "Phew, that worked out my brain, time for a water break!" I quickly ran to the kitchen to grab a water before Lily could ask me any more questions.

"Dakota! We have a lot more studying to do if you want that B!" "I'm just grabbing some water!" I called from downstairs. Lily sighed, "This is gonna be a long night."

~

"Lily, I think we've done enough. We've been studying since three, and  it's now eight. FIVE HOURS STRAIGHT!!!" I collapsed onto my back. "Alright alright I think you're ready for this test," she laughed as she took my book from my lap.

"I can sleep over at your house tonight right?" She asked me shyly. I sat backup, "Of course, you're always welcome."

I grabbed a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt from my closet and tossed them to her.

"So... How are you and Justin?" Lily started.

Justin used to be one of my best friends. We've known each other since third grade and been friends up until junior year. The summer after sophomore year, things became different. Let's just say that we've developed stronger feelings for each other. Which of course, affected our friendship and things got messy. Now because of that, we don't even say a simple hello to each other anymore.

"Still the same," I finally said. "It just frustrates me that even if I try to send him a text, he won't open it. And even if he did, he doesn't bother to text back."

"This is why I'm not social when it comes to other people." Lily pointed out. "Yeah, whatever," I playfully rolled my eyes at her.

"C'mon," she started to settle down on the other half of my bed. "We better get to sleep, especially if you want that B on that test tomorrow."

~

"Dakota and Lily! Wake up! Get ready for school and come down here for breakfast!"

I rubbed my eyes and sat up, looking over at Lily. "C'mon, let's go," I nudged her to awake.

"You wanna borrow some of my clothes?" I asked her as I walked towards my closet.

"No it's fine, I'll stick with what I wore last night," she replied as started to reach for her clothes. "You know what? I meant to say that you are going to borrow some clothes. I know you don't want to feel like you're some kind of charity, but you've been wearing the same clothes for the past few days. So, you're borrowing some clothes."

I opened my closet door, "feel free to wear whatever you want." She slowly walked up to my closet and looked around.

Soon, she picked out a white, long-sleeved shirt, jeans, and a plaid scarf.

While I put on a white tank, a beige knitted cardigan, and some jeans also.

I guess we both like to dress kind of trendy but still comfortable, however I always add on some jewelry whereas Lily doesn't.

"C'mon girls! Hurry up or you'll be late for school!"

"Ready?" I looked up at Lily.

"Yep."
•••
"When it hurts to look back,
And you're afraid to look ahead,
You can look up and your best friend will be there."

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter of my new story, Missing Half of Me! The picture of the outfits is up above in the beginning of the chapter. (Dakota:Left Lily:right) Please let me know if you like the book so far by voting and commenting down below!

Let's get to know each other!

Q | Do you have a best friend that you would do anything for her/him?

A | Well of course I do. :) #takeabulletforthem (only in the leg though... just kidding! Haha)