Chapter 1: Flawless

On a cold October morning, Courtney DiLoins admired herself in her bathroom mirror. She felt amazing today. Her hair fell limply over her shoulders and her uniform fit her hourglass figure perfectly. And plus, her cat-eye make-up was on point. She felt atop of the game that day.

A knock on the door meant that her best friend, Madison Van der Woodsen, had arrived. Courtney strutted to her door and opened it with a big smile and open arms.

"Good morning!" Courtney exclaimed as she embraced her friend.

Madison hugged back, but almost gasped when she saw her friend's face. Deep dark circles had formed under her eyes; she looked like she hadn't slept for weeks!

"Are you okay?" Madison asked Courtney while circling around her own eyes to signal her friend of what was wrong.

Courtney tilted her head. "Why do you ask?" She said. "I feel great!"

Courtney linked her arm through Madison's elbow and off they went to catch breakfast in the school's cafeteria.

While walking side-by-side, many students shot Courtney quick glances. She seemed... off. Her skin was pale and everybody couldn't help but notice the dark circle under her eyes. It seemed as though everyone noticed but her.

Opening the doors to the cafeteria, Courtney and Madison quickly spotted their two other best friends: Liam Dunne and Brendon Collings. They sat on the opposite side of the cafeteria room, each with a tray of pancakes and scrambled eggs; which was the menu for that morning.

Courtney approached her friends and sat on their table. Madison sat beside Brendon.

"Good morning!" Courtney smiled.

Liam and Brendon shared a look. Courtney seemed way too happy, considering how she looked.

"How are you guys today?" Liam asked the group, in an attempt to start a conversation.

"I'm alright." Madison answered. "I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail that Math test we have today."

Courtney gasped. "But, why?" She asked. "It's so easy; I've been studying since last week. Maybe you should have done the same thing." Courtney shot a playful wink at Madison, obviously teasing her for fun. Nothing serious.

After eating breakfast, the group went to their first class of the day: English. Courtney said that she was going to her room to look for something, but that the others didn't have to wait for her. With a twist on her heel, Courtney disappeared towards her room.

Brendon looked at Madison. "What's up with Courtney today?" He said in a worried tone. "She seems like she hasn't slept for days."

Madison shook her head. "I honestly have no idea." She answered. "Maybe she just stayed up studying for Math every night or something."

The group agreed that was the reason for their friend's tired appearance. She just stayed up late studying for an exam; nothing to worry about.

0C