Chapter Three: Killer

Madison woke up to complete silence and darkness. She was dripping in cold sweat and couldn't identify her location.

She slowly got up to a sitting positioned and turned to where she thought Courtney's bed was. "Courtney?" She asked into the dark. "Are you there?"

No one answered. Her eyes began to adjust to the darkness and she started noticing unsettling things.

She was not in Courtney's room. In fact, she wasn't anywhere. She didn't see anything else aside from the bed she was lying on. Panic started taking over her body. She didn't know where she was. All she knew was that she was alone and that she had to find a way out of there.

Madison stood up and started walking in a straight line. She once heard that if you walked in a straight line and never changed direction, you were bound to get somewhere. But, she didn't even know if there was a somewhere in this place. Everything was dark and cold.

Her body shook as panic began transitioning into fear. She started thinking calming thoughts. She thought of the school and its beautiful gardens and nice alumni. She thought of her friends. Courtney's laugh, Liam's jokes, Brendon's stories. All the things that made her happy.

But, that wasn't enough to settle down her fear. She began hearing footsteps that were not her own. She kept looking towards all direction but saw no one. She quickened her pace as the footsteps began to become louder. Her pacing turned into a jog that turned into a full run.

She didn't know where she was running to, but her instincts told her to run as fast as she could. Something was after her; something wanted to get her.

The Faceless legend suddenly came to her mind. She heard many different versions of it. Some people said that it was like "Bloody Mary"; you had to stand in front of a mirror and say "faceless" three times and the ghost would appear. Others said that the ghost got inside of your dreams and gave you terrifying nightmares.

She stopped running. She closed her eyes and sighed in relief. This was just a dream—a nightmare. Before she could open her eyes again, Madison felt her throat being slashed and her knees go weak.

2B