Chapter Four: Gone Girl

Courtney woke up and stretched her body. She felt great because today was Saturday, meaning that she could spend it with her friends. Madison staying over last night was so cool, Courtney loved talking to Madison; she could talk to her forever.

Courtney turned to Madison's bed, but didn't find her there. It was weird, because the bed was unmade; Madison always made her bed when she woke up.

Thinking nothing of it, Courtney got up and got ready for the day. Madison was probably with Brendon and Liam by now.

At the cafeteria, Courtney met up with Brendon and Liam, but still no sign of Madison.

"Good morning." Courtney smiled at her friends. "Have you guys seen Madison?"

Brendon and Liam exchanged a look. "We thought she was with you." Liam said. "I haven't seen her since yesterday."

Now, that was weird. Madison seemed to be nowhere. Courtney took out her phone from her pocket and tried calling Madison. After a few rings, it went to voicemail. The tape on the other end said that "Madison Van der Woodsen could not be reached at this moment."

"She's probably taking time for herself." Brendon tried to not make himself and his friends worry. "Lord knows Madison likes to disappear sometimes."

But, something was weird that day. Madison always left a note or told someone that she was taking time for herself or disappearing for the day. She never just gotten up and left.

Brendon and his friends continued the day with no word or sign from the group's fourth member. Although he tried not to, Brendon's mind kept going back to Madison's theory yesterday. She seemed convinced that Faceless was after Courtney, but that was just a legend, right? Ghosts aren't real... Or at least that's what Brendon thinks.

The day ended and the darkness of the night crept in. None of them heard from Madison, but they all kept their hopes up saying that she would probably return tomorrow smiling and saying "Surprise!" and twirling around to tease her friends.

Brendon went to his room and took a shower. He changed into his sleeping clothes and lay in bed staring at the ceiling. His mind kept bugging about Faceless the entire day. He kept trying to shake it off, but the thoughts were there like a parasite. They didn't go away. After tossing and turning, he fell asleep.