dois

Capítulo dois

Neymar had been Sara's rock through most of her life.

He was the one keeping her together when her mother passed on; he was the one cheering her when she decided to tell her father that she would not be pursuing the career he wanted her to take; he was the one buying her tampons, tablets and ice-cream when she was curled in bed with the worst abdominal cramps; he was the one wiping her tears away when Alvaro, her ex-boyfriend, called it quits; he was the one making her laugh when she learned Alvaro was seeing someone else and moving on; he was the one who called her in the morning to tell her to wake up, eat and go to work when all she wanted to do was roll in bed and wallow in her self-pity.

He was the one making her heart sing and her lips curve into a smile more and more every day.

So when she saw the girls from the stands walk towards Neymar, she couldn't help but throw herself at him and kiss her; as if marking her territory.

But he wasn't a thing to possess, to mark and he wasn't hers. When it dawned on her that she was kissing her best friend, who she believed had no feelings for her other than platonic, she bolted.

But she couldn't lose him.

So she put a brave face on, pushed her budding feelings for him aside and went to his place, as was their tradition, and tried to pretend that nothing happened and that everything was ok.
But it wasn't ok. She knew the damage had been done. Their friendship irrevocably changed by her one impulsive act.

"I'm sorry Ney," she said, her eyes still fixed on the screen as she could feel his gaze burning a whole on the side of her face.

"Sorry about what?"

"That I kissed you."