Chapter 9

"So what did he do?"

"He lost his house in a game of poker."

"Seriously?"

"Yep. We're going to talk to the man who won his house and bargain with him. Then, Mr. Artman will pay us back."

I was in the back of the car with Lafayette, Emilio was driving. We were on our way to Mr. Rick Solanzki's house because he's the one that won the house. It was my first time actually witnessing Lafayette take part in his underground business. I saw him read a letter (he didn't use calls or emails, anything traceable) and I saw him talking to Emilio about stuff before. Though this was the first time I got to actually take part in it. I wasn't going to say or do anything, but I was just there, sort of as a witness.

"Now, when we get there, you have to be very calm and collective. Rick Solanzki is a tough guy. He's not physically strong, but he's smart street wise. He's been to prison before. He likes to pick on people. So if he says anything to you then I'll interfere and make sure he doesn't change the subject," Lafayette told me. "Look at the way Emilio stands when we're in there. Rick Solanzki is an awful man, to say the least."

"Alright. What're you going to bargain?" I asked.

"Well, there's always the option of money, but since I have companies that manufacture many things I can offer him some cars or other objects."

"What if he declines them all?"

"I can walk away, or Emilio can persuade him."

"What does that mean?"

"When the time comes, Em."

We pulled up to a huge, gated off mansion with a fountain in front of it. The gates opened and we drove inside. A man with a thick beard and a gold tooth came down the stairs to smile and greet us. He was wearing a blue, pin-stripped suit without any shoes, though, a silver toe ring clenching his toe. He was a very skinny man, short with diamond earrings. "Ah, Lafayette," he greeted, shaking his hand. "Very nice to see you again."

"Hello Rick," he greeted. "You know Emilio."

"Yes, Emilio, how are you?" he asked, shaking his hand.

"Quite well," Emilio said, but didn't smile. He was standing tall and didn't take his eyes off of Mr. Solanzki. He was intimidating.

"And this Emerson Lane, a good friend of mine who has taken of Donald's job."

"Well nice to meet you Emerson," he said, smiling and shaking my hand, squeezing it tightly.

"Nice to meet you, too," I said, trying to stand tall, but I couldn't pull it off like Emilio.