Chapter Eight: Ink

We finished lunch quickly and were forced to return to training. Will, Kate, and I said goodbye to Hazel and Nicole as they followed the Dauntless-born and we were lead by Four to a different room then we had been training in before. It was bigger than the room we had been doing target practice in and had wooden floors. A large circle was painted on the floor in the middle of the room, the dried paint having seeped into the cracks of the wooden floors. I spotted a black board with the remnants of white chalk dust. Along the left side, all the transfers' names were written in alphabetical order. My name-- my new name-- was fifth from the top.

There were ten black punching bags hanging from the ceiling which all the initiates stood near. Kate stationed herself at the punching bag to my left, Will to my right. Four stood in front of all of us. "Next you will learn how to fight." He announced. "The purpose of this is to prepare you to act; to prepare your body to respond to threats and challenges-- which you will need, if you intend to survive life as a Dauntless. We will go over technique today, and tomorrow you will start to fight each other. So I recommend that you pay attention. Those who don't learn fast will get hurt." Four demonstrated a few different punches and kicks, explaining how to properly perform each, first against the air and then against the punching bag. Luckily, I was a fast learner since Four didn't slow down if you missed something.

I ignored the stinging sensation in my hands and feet as I pounded the punching bag. My skin was red and it felt like the skin on my knuckles was about to tear, but the punching bag wasn't moving much. Four watched the initiates as the sound of fists and feet hitting the tough fabric of the punching bags filled the room. When he stopped by me, I continued to hit the punching bag with my fists. He watched, seemingly unimpressed. His eyes scanned from my head to my feet, purely to observe my technique.

"You're smaller than the rest of the initiates." He observed.

"You have such a way with words, Four." I replied sarcastically, continuing to hit the punching bag.

"I'm trying to help you, Amity." He said and held the punching bag by the chain that held it up to stop it from moving. I lowered my fists and looked at him, spitting out the hair that had fallen into my mouth. "You're better off using your knees and elbows. You can put more power behind them. Arms up." I did as directed and raised my fists as if I was about to punch the punching bag again. "Keep tension her." He said and put his hand on my stomach, just below where my locket fell. I hoped my cheeks aren't as red as they felt as he does so. His hand nearly stretched the full distance of my small stomach. He removed the pressure of his palm and I stood confused as he walks away.

...

"I think he likes you." Kate concluded as we walked to dinner side by side. Will was yet to join us and the Dauntless-born initiates hadn't gotten out of training yet. I grabbed a plate and Kate and I sat at the table we had eaten lunch at. She sat to my left and placed her plate on the table.

"No, he doesn't. He was helping me with my stance so I don't get my ass kicked." I explained to her as she looked at me doubtedly, scooping a mound of mashed potatoes onto her plate.

"Personally, he scares me." she told me. Taking a bite of the potatoes.

"Why's that?" I asked.

"I think it's that quiet voice he uses." she explained. "He has that deep voice, but then speaks so gently."

"It sounds like you like him." I said suggestively, stabbing a few green beans with a fork and popping them in my mouth. She glared at me and I chuckled. "Next time he's intimidating you, look at his eyes. He may look all big and scary, but his eyes--" I said, picturing his deep blue eyes. "--they're kind." I told her.