It's Time (Sequel to Radioactive)

Kelley's POV

I walked down the familiar covered walkway, past the dinning and club house. At the split, I turned left, heading down to the swimming and boating docks.

I decided to take the shortcut, and took the flagstone path to the swim docks, instead of following the covered walkway around to the pavilions first. Already changed, I didn't need to stop and pick up my clothes and things. I had everything in my bag, over my shoulder.

When I finally got to the swimming dock, I was surprised there weren't more people in the water or sunning on the dock. It was a hot, summer morning, with not a cloud in the sky. For a minute, I considered jumping into the water to cool off, but lifeguards technically weren't supposed to do that, as some kid might happen to drown while we enjoyed ourselves. What a shame it would be to loose one kid.

I slowly climbed into the high chair, situated at the end of the docks, and began to get myself comfortable for the long day. Typically I would start at 8am, and work till 2pm, when someone else would come and relieve me. I was jealous of Charlie, who had gotten placed at the tennis courts, refereeing and teaching lessons. There were shaded areas at the tennis courts, while I was stuck in the hot sun for 5 hours.

Overall, I guess I did like Bigwin Inn, although I would consider it more of a resort. Aunt Hellen had rented me a room in the west building, a couple doors down from where Charlie was staying. I appreciated being away from Hellen, although I did see her almost every day when she and her friends would come down to swim and lie on the docks.

The only person I could do without was Charlie. In the years she had spent in England and travelling round Europe, she had changed a lot. She was more preppy now, and acted more spoiled. When we were growing up, she always was known as the rich one, who's parents were members of the county club, but she was level headed and fun to be around. Now, she was more concerned with the latest fashions from Paris, and who was seeing who. Worst of all, she was obsessed with the Beatles.

Charlie would tell me all the times when she saw them in England, playing small clubs and theatres when they were just starting out. She claimed she met them at a party once, but I didn't believe that so easily. I did tell her about seeing them in Toronto, but not the part of staying with them. That was a secret I wanted to keep.

After a while of sitting on the dock, I noticed people walking down the paths and stairs to the beach. I envied their propitious lifestyle; being able to wake up late, eat breakfast in the dining hall, then take part in whatever leisure activity they felt like. I did that for the first week or so, but then started working. Two weeks and I was already bored.

Outside the group of people heading towards me, was Charlie. She was wearing a light blue chiffon dress, one which I presumed she bought in France, and a pair of white sandals. Her auburn hair was in a loose bun, a little out of character for her.

When Charlie got closer I climbed down from the high chair, and skipped along the dock to meet her. I highly doubted one kid would drown while my back was turned for ten seconds.

I waved at Charlie, just to get her attention.

"Why you down here?" I asked when I got close enough not to shout.

Charlie laughed and quickened her walk to catch up to me.

"Courts are closed this morning. There's supposed to be a big party tonight, then a tournament tomorrow, so they're cleaning and redoing some of the lines."

I rolled my eyes at her, but laughed afterwards. Lucky Charlie got the day off, while I got to roast in the sun a little longer.

"Are you spending the day with me then? You know how nice it is down here." I gave a general wave around the docks and water. I tried to be formal, but I couldn't hold the stern look, and broke out in a laugh.