Chapter 12

November: London

George's POV

It was cold outside for early November. The wind drown the rain down in hard pellets, making it sound as if someone was throwing rocks at the window. I was thankful I was inside the house, even though I had been trapped writing songs all day.

John and Paul had left an hour or so ago, Ringo was still in the basement, fiddling around with something down there. I didn't care that he was still in the house; he didn't argue much and required very little attention.

I walked around the house aimlessly for a while. I had nothing to do. Pattie was away with her family for the week, as I was supposed to be in the studio for the week.

I was in the kitchen making a stew when I heard the doorbell ring. It was odd that anyone was out in this weather. Then again, it could have been Paul. He tended to forget the key I had given him.

I opened the door, a pot of potatoes in my hand, and was surprised to find it wasn't Paul at the door, but a short, dark haired girl.

"Are you George?" She asked, talking loudly over the rain. She didn't have an umbrella, but seemed to be protecting something in the large coat she was wearing.

I nodded and opened the door wider, making her invited to come in. She smiled and stepped through the door, pulling her hood down. I closed the door behind her and tried to remember where I'd seen her; she looked vaguely familiar.

"Just a minute," I said walking back to the kitchen.

I set the pot down on the stove to boil and returned to the hallway with two cups of tea in my hand.

"So who are exactly? I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you do look familiar."

I led the girl to the sitting room and motioned for her to take one of the chairs. She smiled and sat down quietly, clutching a small package in her hands.

"I'm Charlie," she explain. Her accent was odd, Canadian with some French and Scottish mixed in.

"I'm a friend of Kelley's, we lived together during the summer at the resort. I think she introduced us once."

I nodded, remember her now. She had looked much nicer in a summer dress than trousers and a wooly sweater.

"Anyway," she continued, taking a sip of her tea. "I told Kelley that I was coming back for school, and she wanted me to give this to you."

Charlie slowly handed me the package, wrapped in brown paper. Her face showed a little sadness, and I was curious as to why this was.

I took the package but didn't open it.

"So what's happened to Kelley?" My voice was quiet. I knew I sounded scared, but I couldn't explain why.