Chapter Twenty-Five

Ahuil strolled through the village as if he belonged there, even though the knot in his stomach told him otherwise. Everything was strange — from the huge beasts pulling sleds full of people, to the relentless insideness of everything, to the way people dressed as if they were freezing cold. Who needed that many clothes? He tugged at his collared shirt irritably. It was so tight.

He preferred strolling through the forest, taking in all the new types of plants and animals in this place they called England. Then again, there was no chance of seeing Theodosia in the woods. Sarah had told him that "her lady" was forbidden from taking any walks. Still, he clung to the hope that her parents might at least permit a trip into town.

It appeared not. He hadn't caught sight of her once in the past four weeks. His heart felt heavy as he strolled along, avoiding the curious glances directed his way. He hated how they had left things between them. His brain had been clouded when he had first arrived.

After many long, sleepless nights, he had eventually realized that there was nothing he could do for the Nextic. And that he had a responsibility to Theodosia — to stay alive, to love her despite everything. It had been hard to admit. Years living alone hadn't given him much practice in compromise.

Ahuil exhaled loudly and then flinched as another of those things they called carriages hurtled by him. He had been afraid of everything only four weeks ago. Now he found it all, if not normal, then at least tolerable.

At least there was another purpose to going into town — to practice his English. With little else to do, he had taken to the task like a wolf worrying his last bone. He found the grammar uncomplicated; rather it was the accent that tripped him up. He made it his business to practice as much as possible even if it earned him strange looks from the baker, barman, and anyone else who crossed his path.

He did not care. His busy mind had churned out a new plan that required learning English, and he was bent on following that plan to its end. It was the only sure way he could see Theodosia any time soon.