Chapter 12: Natalia

Chapter 12: Natalia

Run. RUN! The voice in my head shouted. A shadow passed over the sun; the world turned too dark under its brief shade. A shiver shook me. It was not from the cold. RUN!

I knew that voice. But where? Whose? Where am I? Why am I alone? Someone was once with me. Should have been with me? Where are you? The thought shocked me into slowing to a stop. For the life of me, I could not remember who it was supposed to be. Who? Who! Tears sprang to my eyes blurring the trees and the creeping shadows. "Where are you, whoever you are. I need you here. Comeback." My voice but not my voice filled the winter quiet. It quivered and rasped.

Run. Run! RUN! The voice shouted on the wind, but I couldn't see through the tears. It was so cold that they froze on my cheeks. It was so cold it didn't feel cold anymore. I knew that was bad.

I knew I needed to keep going, but everything hurt. I-... I-...need to sleep. Maybe, if I rest for just a second.

NO! The disembodied voice roared through the trees, beating the blackened branches against each other in a terrifying clatter. I jolted awake. Move! It demanded. Keep the setting sun on your left. Then follow Polaris.

I was leaning against tree, half sliding into a crotch when I lurched into a step then another. I couldn't feel my feet but somehow, they moved forward. Onwards and onwards. The sun turned blinding scarlet. Still, I trudged endless on, trying desperately to not run into any trees.

"Hey! Miss are you alright?" A new voice called out.

"I have to find her." I could hear my own voice say in a rasp as I took another step I couldn't feel forward.

"Hey, hey. Hold on." He said, stopping me with hands to my shoulders. He looked so concerned. And good looking. I stared dumbly at his face. "Who? How long have you been out here?"

"I have to find her." My voice was like a half-broken record. A weight was placed on my shoulders, wrapped around my arms. A coat. His. Still warm from being wrapped around his body. It was chilled instantly at my skin's touch. He zipped it up, concern played across his face.

"Okay. Okay. Can you tell me your name?"

"I have to find-..." The world turned black. Did the sun finally set?

"Whoa. I've got you. Easy. I have you. Can you hear me? Miss?! Crap!

911? I'm at Sweetwaters Nature Preserve. About five miles north on the outer forest loop. I found a girl wandering alone. She's freezing and passed out just now. I think she's hypothermic. She's still breathing. Yeah. Blonde, blue eyes, about six feet. I don't know fifteen-sixteen-ish. She didn't tell me her name. Oh yay, I think there's someone else out here. She kept muttering about finding some 'her'. 'Kay. Please hurry."

"Miss? Hey miss! Can you hear me? Help is on the way. Just hold on a little longer."

Run. Run. Run! RUN!

"I have to find her." Everything felt heavy and light at the same time. I just wanted to sleep. Yes, sleep sounds nice.

"Who? Is there someone else out here? Miss! Stay with me! Do you hear? You didn't survive this long only to give up now, did ya? Come on say something. Open those lovely eyes for me."

Heh. He said my eyes are lovely. I like you, but I think I'll catch some shut eye. If you would quiet down a little, that would be nice. Mmh. Is this what warmth feels like? I have forgotten.