The Beginning

A/N Hey guys!! :) When I was on my vacation I had this particular scene playing on repeat in my head. So I decided to write it down and see where it would take me. I hope you'll like it! :)

“Never.”

“Never?”

“You heard me.”

“I don't believe you, I really don't!”

“Believe it!” I said smiling smugly at Hannah.

We'd known each other since preschool, but it wasn't until our sophomore year we became really close friends. Now it was the final day of our summer vacation, before our first day of our senior year in high school.

Hannah and I told each other everything. Well, mostly everything . . . Some stuff I liked to keep to myself, but occasionally I slipped up. This was one of those times.

We were sitting by the lake on a big rock, our legs dangling off of the side and into the water, but we were so high up that the water only just covered our ankles. The water was really cool, and it helped in keeping our body temperatures semi-normal, in the 100 degrees weather.

Both of us were just wearing bikini tops and shorts, as it was too hot to wear anything else. Underneath our shorts, we had on our bikini bottoms, so, if we were to become overheated, we could easily just strip out of the shorts and get into the water to cool down. Towels were in the back of my truck along with dry underwear.

Ah, my lovely truck. It was kind of old, with faded red paint and more than a few bumps and scratches. It was really a miracle it still worked, even if it was a death trap. I had gotten it from my parents as a congratulatory gift when I got my license. It used to be my fathers, then my brothers, and then I finally got it. It was passed down through the family.

When my brother graduated from high school three years ago, he got a new car so he could drive home from college once in a while to visit us. I still remembered the look on his face when he saw the shining black sports car in our driveway after his graduation ceremony ended. You know, I knew absolutely nothing about cars, don't judge me, I'm a girl, what I did know was that it was a really expensive car, some big brand that all the guys wanted.

But I didn't want a new car for graduation; I loved my pick-up truck. I know this is going to sound creepy, but it kind of still smelled like my brother in there, and it was nice because I really missed him when he was at school. He used to come home a lot during his freshman year so our mom could help him wash his clothes, but now, as he was to begin his senior year in college, he only came home for vacations. He did come with us to Niagara Falls on our trip last week, but he brought his girlfriend, and I barely got a chance to talk to him with her butting in all the time.

“I still don't believe you.” Hannah reluctantly said after staring intently at me, as if to see if I showed any signs of lying. She wouldn't know if I lied though, I'm awesome at poker and a hell of a bluffer. I didn't lie that time though.

We'd been talking about boys, as us girls normally do when we're alone, she had just told me a story her sister told her one night, when the two of them had been gossiping about boys. Hannah's sister Caroline was the same age and grade as my brother, but the two of them had never gotten along.

“My sister was a Big Buddy throughout her senior year, you remember Big Buddies right?” She began. As if she had to ask! Of course I remembered Big Buddies; it was a program for the senior kids at our school, the nicer kids volunteered and some were hijacked into doing it. Once a month the seniors would go to the middle school where they had been assigned to what they called a ’Little Buddy’. They would eat lunch together, and then they would have to play together for the remainder of the lunch break outside on the playground, until their classes began again.