Chapter 27

Pain raised his arms up until he got everyone's attention silently. Then he lowered them to his sides. "It's time now for a little work to be done around here. The akatsuki is making a very small move. This move is a stepping stone into the full plan which I will not speak of just yet. Itachi and Kisame have left, but the mean is unknown for them. I just know they had better not have quit. I do know that they are on an intel mission." Pain explained to us. I had secretly hoped that both Itachi and Kisame were OK and would return quickly to us. Then I realized that I would be leaving out shortly as well.

"Now then, listen closely to my orders everyone." Pain continued with his speech. "Zetsu and Tobi, you two are going on an intel mission that we spoke of in private yesterday. Sasori and Deidara, you will scope around the wide and half perimeter of the hideout. There's been word that someone has been snooping around. You two will need to camp out for two days around the hideout. If anyone is found spying, kill them without hesitation." He said darkly. "Not a problem." Sasori smirked. His smirk made me shiver at how dark it seemed.

"Hirada, Kakuzu, Hidan. You three have an important mission as well. You must go and retrieve four individuals who have been chosen to join the akatsuki. Kakuzu remembers from our personal meeting a while back. Do not fail me. Use any measure you can including kidnapping if you absolutely must." I nodded with determination on my face. Hidan snickered and whispered to me: "Calm down teachers pet. It's not that serious." I rolled my eyes and him and looked up at Kakuzu. His eyes glinted although he wasn't excited. Sooner than later we were on our way out of the entrance.

I walked along excitedly although Kakuzu and Hidan stayed serious and quiet. But after about half an hour I soon realized why they were serious. I was extremely exhausted of walking. "Uhhhgggg are we there yet?" I groaned, throwing my head in a full circle. Hidan sighed and looked over his shoulder. He ignored me and kept walking. "Kakuzu?" I waited but he didn't answer me. I groaned and kept walking. The day was ending after another 2 full hours of walking (with breaks between) and my partners decided to stop walking completely and set I'll camp. "Finally." I whispered with annoyance.

I watched as Hidan built a shelter and Kakuzu put together a fire. Hidan mentioned something about food and disappeared into the Forrest leaving me and Kakuzu alone. He looked at me but I turned my nose up. His eyes squinted in distress and he quickly made his water to sit on a log next to me. I continued to ignore him by poking the ground near the fire with a stick. "Are you ignoring me?" He reached for my cheek but I flinched back. "Are you mad at me?" He asked. I sighed and looked at him with distaste. "You ignored me today Kuzu. I do NOT like being ignored. You and Hidan are jerks. He ignored me too and we're supposed to be friends."

Kakuzu looked down and pulled his mask down slightly. I could see his frown. It was getting harder and harder to stay mad at him. Then it happened...

He looked right up at me and gave me the saddest most destroyed face he could give. At that moment, I thought my heart shattered and what he said next wasn't helping. "Do you want to not see each other anymore?" He asked brokenly. My eyes widened and I shook my head rapidly. "NO! Of course not! I'm sorry I was just...letting you know how I felt." I looked down sadly. I felt him wrap his arms around me and hug tightly. "I'm sorry for ignoring you. I had to focus on the mission and I'm still not fully comfortable with displaying affection in public. I still feel like we have to hide it. I forgot Hidan... what do you call it?"

"Spilled the beans?" I added with a chuckle. Kakuzu smiled and nodded. I brought him in for a long kiss and he seemed to enjoy it a bit too much. I pulled away and did a lot of thinking before realizing that my life is shorter than Kakuzu's by a long shot. That really made me make some decisions concerning us. Before I knew it, we were in the shelter together.

When I woke up the next morning, I was wrapped up in mine and Kakuzu's cloak but he wasn't inside with me. I looked outside of the shelter and watched him and Hidan cook something by the fire. Hidan turned around and noticed me. "Well well, look who's up. So...you and Kakuzu last night? I heard it all when I came back with the food. Don't worry, I won't tell." I glared at him and wrapped the cloak around me to come outside. "Like I believe you." I snapped back at him.

I laid my head on Kakuzu's shoulder and watched the food cook. I distance have any regrets and I didn't feel like we were rushing anymore. I felt pleased and hopeful that Kakuzu felt the same about the experience. Or in his case, the new experience.