Chapter 1

I swam along the small coast I call home. I'm a mermaid by the way. My hair is black and my tail is blue. I live on the beach here in Hawaii and my pet shark follows me everywhere in the sea, he's my best friend. During the day I work at the aquarium and at night I sleep on my surf board in the water. As the sun sets my tail appears. I can also get a tail during the day if I get wet as well.

Anyway I swam along the coast looking for little treasures, I loved to collect things and also look for sea creatures in need. It was a thing we did.

I came across a pearl in a clam. I swam down to it and it clamped it's mouth shut. "Excuse me, may I have your pearl please?" The clam opened up slowly and I took the pearl in my hand. It was beautiful. "Thank you, you did an amazing job." I let go of it and it floated in front of me. I used my magic and made a wonderful necklace out of it. I clasped it around my neck and swam back up to the surface.

It was fairly early in the morning and I had to get ready for work soon. I called Bruno to my side and we swam back together.

I had a quaint little house on my beach. It was cute. I swam up to shore and up on the beach.  I pulled myself onto the sand and sat in the sand as my tail dried. It took a few minutes to dry.

I got up and rushed to the house. I was naked, and nobody needed to see that. I shut the door behind me and rushed to my bedroom. I opened the closet and searched for my work clothes. It was a pair of teal shorts and a button up teal shirt with our aquarium logo across the back. I laid it on the bed and grabbed my undergarments. I slipped on my shorts and buttoned up my top leaving a few undone to show my cleavage just enough that it was still appropriate for work, mermaids were notorious for looking sexy all the time.

I combed my hair and put it up into a ponytail and brushed my teeth. After that I ate a quick breakfast then left on my bike, I had no need for a car, I could bike everywhere.

I reached the aquarium and put my bike away. I said hello to my coworkers and went back to the nursery. I took care of the baby animals and search and rescue. I grabbed the food from the kitchen and went to feed them. I went to the rays first because they were always cute and happiest. I walked towards them and they went up against the tank to say hello. Animals were always drawn to mermaids by the way.

I sprinkled the food and watched them go after the food. I went to the turtles and pet a few of their heads and handed them their food. Next I went to the sharks, they were my favorite. They came over to me and I pet a few. I sprinkled the food into the tank and watched the mini feeding frenzy. I saw a small runt being pushed away from the food by the others. I grabbed a tank and got water.

I called the shark over and set the tank into the water. He swam in hesitantly. I took the tank over to an examination table and fed him some food. I went back to the sharks. They greeted me cheerfully. "Shame on you, you better share with him!" I said pointing to the runt. They looked at me sadly and I pet a few reassuring them that I wasn't mad at them.

I took the tank back over as he finished and the sharks greeted him cheerfully. I smiled and went over to the huge dolphin tank. I waved at them and they waved back. They tried to splash me to get me wet. They always did that. "Guys! Don't blow my cover!" They laughed and I threw their fish in shaking my head.

I finished feeding everyone and I went to wash my hands. "Alani! There's a sea turtle stuck to a branch of coral at the reef, it got into a soda can plastic ring and hooked itself to the coral,we have to hurry. It can barely breathe with low tide and high tide is coming in!" I ran out of there and grabbed the animal board I carried injured animals on. The animals looked at me worriedly as I ran past.

I went to the deck and sent a wave to find out where the turtle was. My coworker followed behind me a few seconds later. "Meet me at the emergency room in twenty." My coworker ran off to our animal ER. I dove in the water and my tail grew instantly. I grabbed the board and swam as fast as I could to the coral reef. Other animals came up behind me to help me as I swam past.

I reached the reef and saw the turtle. I swam over to it. "I'm here to help its okay." I looked at it and saw it was a girl and she was really scared and bleeding a little because the plastic had dug into her fin as she was trying to pull away. I carefully pulled the ring out of her fin and had a shark bite the ring off. I placed her on the board. I pushed her away a small trail of blood following us.

I reached the dock and put her up on it. I hoisted myself up and quickly used my powers to dry myself. My uniform was also dry now but I still had a few scales on my legs. I ran into the ER carrying her and saw my coworker waiting for me.