Caring

Sherlock stated, in the same quiet tone as Mel, "I know."

Mel snorted and said, "Figures."

Sherlock smiled slightly as he shrugged.

Mel quietly mused, "I buried my heart so deep that it probably doesn't work anymore."

Sherlock assured her, "It does work."

"I don't see how."

"It works because there are people that force it to work."

"Nobody cares about me Sherlock."

"Mrs. Hudson."

"She's family so she would care about me anyway."

"Mycroft appears to have taken a liking to you."

"Because of my abilities...not because he cares."

Sherlock smiled his little secretive smile.  He knew that Mycroft did indeed care for the ex-assassin standing next to him.  He said, "John seems to like you too."

Mel shrugged.  She turned to face Sherlock and asked him, "What about you?"

Sherlock was startled for a moment.  "You're Mrs. Hudson's niece.  Mrs. Hudson cares a great deal for you..."

"And you care a great deal about Mrs. Hudson, but would never admit it to her, so therefore you care about me," Mel finished for him.

Sherlock laughed, which caused Mel to laugh.  "You're very perceptive," he complimented her.

"There are people that force your heart to work too," Mel replied.

Sherlock started to shake his head negatively but instead he asked, "There's no sense in trying to fool you, is there?"

"None at all."

"Mrs. Hudson is the only one that comes to mind."

"But she's not the only one.  There are others."

"Who?"

"John.  You would risk your life for him...and your brother Mycroft."

"I do not care about Mycroft."

Mel laughed.  "Oh yes you do Sherlock."

"Fine," Sherlock snapped, "I do care about my brother."

"I won't tell anyone."

"Smart girl."

Mel shrugged.  "I've been around."

Sherlock gave her a small smile and Mel returned it.  They were silent for a few seconds.

After what seemed like an eternity, Sherlock finally stated quietly, "I'm here if you need to talk."

Mel looked up at him.  "Why would I talk to you instead of John?"

Sherlock shrugged.  "You wouldn't burden John with your memories when he has his own to cope with."

Mel nodded.  "You're right.  I wouldn't...but at least he would understand."

"Understand what?"

"How it felt to be a soldier.  After all, he was an assassin too...but a different kind."

"Different because he was fighting and not picking off his targets?"

"That...and he chose to become a soldier."

"And you dont' think I would understand that?"

Mel shook her head.  "No."

"You'd be surprised at what I would understand."

Mel turned to look out the window, her back to Sherlock.  "So you would understand being kidnapped, beaten and threatened into submission, and forced to kill?  You would understand being completely alone?  You would understand how it feels to see a person instead of a target and yet still have to look at their face and pull that trigger?"  Tears were trickling out of the corners of Mel's eyes now.

"I might understand."  Sherlock gently put his hands on Mel's shoulders and turned her around.  Once she was facing him, and he saw the tears leaking from her eyes, he gently put his hands on the side of her face and wiped her tears away with his thumbs.

Once he was satisfied that he had wiped all of the tear stains away, he slowly put his arms around her and brought her closer.  She started to struggle a little bit but he had already wrapped her in a hug and she couldn't get out.  After a few more minutes of struggling, she finally relaxed against Sherlock and brought her arms up around him to hug him back.

He rested his chin gently upon her head.  And he held her.  It was his way of showing her that she wasn't alone...and that he did care about her.

Suddenly Sherlock smirked.  He had just thought of something.  I wish Mycroft were here so I could see his face.  It would aggravate him so much.

What do you think?

I can't make it better if you don't comment.  And I want to make the story as good as possible for you guys, so please comment...if you want to.