The Ride Home

Minutes later, the waiter brought their dinner.  Mel and Moriarty maintained small conversation as they ate and finished their dinner.  Mel was having a good time with Moriarty.  The time seemed to pass quickly and before Mel realized it, it was 9:30 p.m.

As they were getting ready to leave, Moriarty stopped Mel as she started pulling money out of her purse.

He smiled at her.  "My treat."

Mel smiled back at him.  "That's very kind of you but..."

Moriarty held up his hand, cutting her off.  "It's on me this time."

Moriarty paid the bill and helped Mel out of her chair.  He handed Mel her jacket and helped her put it on.  Then he held her hand as they left the restaurant.

When they got into the car that was waiting for them, Mel turned to look at Moriarty.  "So you think we'll go out again?"

Moriarty smirked.  "I know we will."

Mel laughed.  "You seem pretty sure of that."

Moriarty nodded his head.  "Yes I am."

Mel shook her head.  "Maybe you shouldn't be so confident."

Moriarty smiled.  "Why not?"

Mel smirked.  "Because this is all just a mind game."

Moriarty's smile slowly faded from his face.  "No, it's not.  I genuinely wanted to take you to dinner."

Mel looked down at her hand, which was still entwined with Moriarty's.  "Then why the show for Mycroft?"

Moriarty's smile came back in full force.  "Because it irks him to see the woman he's come to care about, possibly loves, go out with me, the one and only consulting criminal."

Mel pulled her hand away.  "So you're using me to get into Mycroft's head."

Moriarty nodded his head.  "Yes, that was the initial plan.  But I didn't expect to find you so...enchanting."

Mel blushed and looked down at her lap.  "Ah...I wonder why Mycroft is so keen to get me on his side."

Moriarty rolled his eyes.  "Isn't it obvious?  If you're on his side, then he can protect you."

Mel looked up at Moriarty in confusion.  "Protect me from what?"

Moriarty smirked.  "No what.  Who.  He seems to think that he needs to protect you....from me."

Mel was still confused.  "Why would he think that?"

Moriarty sighed.  "Because his dear little brother, Sherlock, and I are engaged in a battle of wits."

Mel nodded.  "And John?"

Moriarty waved his hand in a dismissive manner.  "A pesky intrusion."

Silence fell in a car for the rest of the way to 221B Baker Street.  When they reached it, Moriarty got out of the car and helped Mel out.  Then he walked her to the door.  He took her hand in his and brought it up to his lips.  He kissed her hand and then let it fall gently back to her side.

Mel smiled up at him.  "Thank you for dinner."

Moriarty smiled back at her.  "Anytime.  I had a lovely time tonight."

Mel nodded.  "Me too."

Moriarty's smile widened.  "Perhaps we can do it again some time."

Mel chuckled quietly.  He wasn't one that would give up easily.  "Perhaps."

Moriarty reached into his pocket and pulled out a business card, which he handed to Mel.  "Here, take this.  My number is on the back.  You can call me anytime, day or night."

Mel looked from the card in her hand up to Moriarty.  "Thank you, Jim."

Moriarty nodded.  "Good night, Melody."

Mel smiled up at him.  "Good night, Jim."

Moriarty then leaned down and kissed Mel gently on the cheek.  He pulled away and then winked at her before walking back to his car.  Mel watched the car drive away before going inside.