Chapter 7

In all honesty, when this whole mess with the gas had hit, everyone was just trying to survive and keep any family members alive and safe. No one bothered to keep track of the months, or days of the month, or the years, no one remembers or i think cares too anymore. I was told that however strange that it sounded for someone to have still kept track after all this time, that someone had. Who, however, I was not told, it was just a rumor that had been going around of the current day, month, and year. I was curious as to who kept track, the most obvious guess would peobably be one of the elders here at camp....But that was too obvious, and it was strange that all of the elders were just as baffled as anyone else....Except Franny, who was calm about the whole ordeal, shrugging it off as if he knew, which he probably did, and he most likely was the one who kept track of things such as these. I mean, from what I have seen, he is very reserved for a kid our age, very quiet, and....handsome.....

Now these thoughts had been cascading through my head all day, his wonderful eyes boring into mine everytime I closed them. Though I knew that my body and heart have fallen head over heels for this strange, quiet boy. I refused to acknowledge or embrace this newfound attraction, as it would most likely lead to pain, and sorrow.

It was stupid, love, the emotion, the interaction, all of it, I despised it all with a passion, seeing couples being romantic in public did not bother me all that much, but there was a slight hate nagging at me from the deepest reaches of my mind. I possess enough self-control to ignore the insistant nag, but I know that despite the walls I have take great time to build against such emotions, they will someday break. Today, however, would not be that day.

It is always quick traveling news when people hooked up, they are congratulated and wished happy lives, despite it not being complete committment, people are still happy that despite the looming threat of the flesh-eating infected literally almost outside our doors, they still manage to find love, and happiness. Me, on the other hand, as wonderful as it for others to be able to find love, I sometimes can't help but....wish for the same thing. To find someone to maybe settle down (if only slightly,) with. To be loved, and to love in return. It's not much to ask, but however little such a thing seems, there will always be a big consequence that shadows it, waiting to lunge at you the moment you mess up....I know the consequences for me were bigger than that of a regular person's, with that stressful thought inside my head, I laid on my makeshift bed, falling into a much-needed slumber.