Chapter 7

KIM

We were getting ready to head out for dinner. Mom made sure Chloe was in her hoodie so she wouldn't get cold. All of us put on a hoodie.

Mom went to get her purse as the rest of us got our shoes on when the doorbell rang.

Trent tied his shoe and answered it. "James?!"

I looked over from where I was tying my shoes to see James standing at the door, smiling.

"Hey, dude!" James said, him and Trent giving each other a hug. Even though there is a three year age difference between them they were still best friends.

"What you doing here?" Trent asked when he leaned back, allowing James into the house.

"What? I can't come over to see a couple of my favorite people?" He and Trent shared a laugh. "And I'm having dinner with my family and I thought I would stop by and say a quick hello before heading over."

"It's great to see you, man." Trent said.

Dad walked over from where he was sitting on the couch. "Hey, James."

"Hey, Scott." James greeted and shook my Dad's hand.

"How's life been treating you lately?" Dad asked.

James shrugged with a grin. "Well, my Fiancé is expecting a boy."

"No way?!" Trent cheered. "You put in two announcements in one sentence!" He chuckled. "Congrats, bro."

"Did you tell your family?" Dad asked.

James shrugged. "Not yet. Jackson knows though."

We all smiled.

"I'm proud of you, James." Dad said.

"What you guys doing for dinner?" James asked.

"We're heading off to Olive Garden." I told him from where I was sitting on my chair.

"Man, I love it there." He said. "Me and Trace are planning to go there sometime this week."

Before any of us could say anything, Chloe came running over and gave James a hug. He's always been like a second big brother to her.

"Hey, Chloe!" James said and lifted her up.

"Why are you here?" She asked.

He smiled at her. "I came to say hi."

"Hi." She said, playfully.

"Hi." He repeated her tone. He put her down gently. "I can't carry Jake like that anymore."

"Is he excited about starting High School next year?" Dad asked.

James nodded. "Totally. He's excited about all the things you do in High School. Especially driving. He can't wait to drive. He wants Jackson to teach him."

"Jackson?" We all said.

"Yeah. Jackson's a better driver than me and I taught Jackson and now it's his turn to teach Jake."

We nodded.

Mom walked in while shuffling through her purse. "Okay. I think I got everything. Except my reading glasses. Have any of you seen them?"

Mom yet to notice James was there. Chloe was sitting on the couch next to me, wearing Mom's glasses that she found on the end table. We chuckled as James snatched them from her and handed them to Mom. She still not noticing.