Chapter 22

KIM

Jackson was finally returning from the hospital and I had a big surprise for him. Trent and Dirk have helped me the last couple days to work on it. It's something he's been asking for the longest time:

A new engine for his truck.

My plan isn't to just show him. My plan is to tell him if we could go to our place and tell him that we are taking his truck there. I will tell him my car broke down so we have to take his truck. When he turns the engine on and sees how smoothly it runs I will then tell him. We found a spear engine in our garage that still worked really well so Dad told me to give it to Jackson. Trent and Dirk helped me install it.

I was sitting on the front steps of Jackson's house when he and Dirk pulled in.

I got up and walked over to Jackson as he stepped out of the car. When I got to him I noticed that he was still wearing his hospital band.

"Hey, babe." I said and kissed him.

"Hey."

We were walking towards the house but when we reached the garage I stopped him.

"Can we go to the lake?" I asked.

"I don't think Dirk would be okay with that."

I looked behind Jackson at Dirk. "Dirk, is that okay?"

"Yeah." Dirk said and walked in front of us. "Just be home before it gets dark." He looked down at me. "Keep an eye on him."

"Okay."

"We taking your car?" He asked when Dirk got inside.

"I was thinking we'd take your truck."

He shook his head. "I haven't worked on it in two weeks. It will take hours to get it to run."

"Please, Jackson. My car broke down."

He sighed. "I could ask Dirk if I could borrow his car."

"No. Just at least see if it's good enough to get us to the lake."

He sighed and walked over to his car. He pulled his keys out of his pocket, unlocking the car and sitting sideways on the chair. He turned the key and his face turned into surprise. "What?" He turned off the engine and walked to the front of the truck. He lifted up the hood and his eyes grew wide at the sight. "This is not my engine."

I walked up to him. "It is now."

"You did this?"

I nodded. "You said if I found an engine that I could give it to you."

"Wow. How much did it cost?"

"Nothing. My Dad and I found it in the garage."

He closed the hood and hugged me. "You are honestly the best." He kissed the top of my head before pulling away and stepping into the truck. "Let's check it out."

I smiled and climbed into the truck. "let's do it."

He grinned as he turned on the engine and pulled out of the driveway.

"Wow. I love it." He said once we parked in the field. "Again, you are the best."

"I know."

He turned off the engine and stepped out of the truck. I followed behind him. I followed him until he got to the tree and sat down. He spread his legs for me to come join him. He wrapped me up once I was positioned.