Chapter 1: Introduction

My mom drops me off at what I call my second home and family. Marching Band. Oh how I love it. The music we play is so exciting and fun to play. I swear this is my favorite place to be in the world at this point. Here and on my laptop creating all of the melodies that flutter around in my head all day long and putting them into writing to be kept forever. My goal, make a whole opera and grasp the attention of someone who can help me make known for the mere work I attempt.

     I walk inside to my best friends Deandre and Emily. I talk to Deandre first. He's a flute player who has blue eyes and brown hair. Him and I are so close he's kind of like an overprotective brother towards me. He doesn't write music like I do but he just loves the rush of this place as do I. After we say hi I walk over to Emily. She is a flute player too  where I as a trumpet player wonder about the instrument my friends are holding for it sounds so beautiful. Emily has about chin length brown hair with blue eyes and pinkish glasses. She dabbles in the composing section of music also just I don;t believe she has that feeling of it flowing out of her like a waterfall when she does. Anyways back to band.

     Today was the day of a huge competition that could determine the rest of our season. Our goal, wow the judges, make them love us, fear us and want our performance never to end. There will be 3 judges at a panel judging us. I've never liked them, they seem too powerful. I think, if I were to be near them could they control me? That's what it feels like to me. While I think of these things i hear my band instructor yell my name. "Megan!" I jump, startled, and walk into the dressing room and change into my embarrassing  cavellier outfit that we all are required to wear. I come out and unpack my trumpet and let that amazing sound flow throughout my instrument and ears of mine among others.

     After everyone gets dressed we scurry onto the packed school buses where we must sit 3 to a seat. So I of course sit with Deandre and Emily. "I can't wait to get the competition and see the judges!", I exclaim, wondering why I even said that. They look at me in shock, knowing that I hate judges and how they always creuly rule us out. They all seem to place us last. Hopefully today there is a judge there like me. They look into the music, they can feel it rush trough them, the feeling any true musician should know.

     We get to the competition and I feel this strange feeling. Like an odd presence, something I've never felt before. I admit it felt mysterious and dangerous which made me want to follow that feeling and find the source of it. For it will surely be amazing. It gave me this feeling as if I couldn't breathe but it felt so nice and calming. Like it's where I belong. But of course I must go with my fellow cavelliers and get ready for the performance in a matter of moments. I send a quick prayer to god asking to have that feeling again. As it seemed to make my soul take flight.