Chapter 5

Whilst the mint green nail polished dried, Eliza sat down at the table, where Niall already was placed. The boy held his head in his hands and rested his elbows on the table. He looked miserable.

“Niall.”

He looked up at her.

“Mmhm?”

“How are you feeling?” Eliza asked worriedly.

“Horrible.” was his simple answer. “And it’s prom night.”

“I know.” she nodded.

“Do you have a dress already?” Niall frowned.

Eliza nodded. “I do have one. Or, it’s my sisters’. But it fits.”

“Good, good.” he mumbled, obviously in other thoughts.

“It’s mint green. The same color as my nail polish.” Eliza tried to start a conversation with the tired boy. He only nodded.

“You’ll look great.”

Eliza sighed and put her hand over Niall’s, that was laid on the table now.

“Niall, I’m trying to start a conversation here. You’re not really helping.” she commented quietly with raised eyebrows.

“I’m sorry love, but I need to go. I need to be alone for a while. See you tonight, okay?” Niall stood up so fast the chair fell behind him and he blushed. “Sorry.” he muttered and lifted the chair up before he quickly made his way out the door.

He crashed into the drivers’ seat in his car and felt he didn’t get out of there quick enough. The pain in his head was almost overwhelming and he just wanted to sleep in his own bed, alone.

The night with Eliza had been good, as always, but as every other morning he woke up next to her, filled with anxiety. There was no reason, and he always felt so bad about it. It wasn’t her fault. It was his, and his only.

“Anyone home?” he called when he came inside. His mum showed up in the kitchen door.

“Niall, dear, where have you been? I’ve been worried.” She frowned and hurried to her youngest son.

“Sorry mum. I was at a friends’.” Niall gave his mother a hug and kissed her forehead. “I’m gonna go to bed. Headache.” he muttered.

His mother nodded. “Don’t forget about the prom tonight darling. And oh, who are you going with?”

“Eliza. She’s just a friend, and I don’t think you know her.”

“I’m sure she’s lovely.” his mother smiled.