Chapter 1

“So, who are you going to prom with?” Niall asked casually, sitting on Bree’s bed. She stood in front of the mirror, inspecting the light pink dress she just put on.

“I’m going with Lucas.” she said and slowly spun around, making the long beautiful dress sparkle. “What do you think? Isn’t it gorgeous? I just love the color.”

“What?” Niall flew up, ignoring Bree’s last question. “You’re going with Lucas? Why?”

Bree gave him an annoyed glance through the mirror. “Because he’s my boyfriend and I love him.”

“Bree, he beats the shit out of you and you love him? That’s not sane.” Niall shook his head. His cheeks were turning dark red out of anger.

“He doesn’t beat me.” Bree said quickly, blushing, and pulled the dress over her head to fold it nicely and put it on the bed.

“Then explain those bruises all over your body.” Niall stated and looked at her, from head to toe.

“I fell, okay?” She was mad now, Niall could tell. But he couldn’t let Lucas get away with beating her.

“Into the middle of a boxing game, or what?” he snapped.

Bree’s eyes got an evil spark. “Stop controlling me, Niall.” She turned around to face him. “And why do you even care?”

“Why I care? Because you’re my best friend, Bree. I love you, I care about you, I want you to be happy. We’ve been friends for 17 years, Bree. Since we were 2 years old. I do care.” Niall said slowly and grabbed her hand. Bree sighed, looked down and pulled away.

“You should go. Lucas must be here any minute, and you know he can’t stand you.”

“That’s because he’s a fucking jerk.” Niall muttered on his way out. “See you tomorrow night, okay? Complete and clean, without any new bruises or cuts.” he said and pointed at her, commanding. She rolled her eyes and slammed the door in Niall’s annoyed face.

Niall looked at the door for a moment, sighed angrily and spun around to get to his car. “What are you doing here?” A voice made him look up, and even more up. Lucas was taller than Niall remembered.

“Just visiting my best friend, who means very much to me. What about you? Here to beat the fuck out of her again? Y’know, one day she’ll get enough of you. You’re just one insecure, mean and freakishly tall guy.” Niall said, holding his breath, noticing Lucas clench his fists.

An annoyed shadow chased over Lucas’ face. “You watch it. I’m twice your size, you better shut up.”

“Yeah? What are you gonna do? Punch me? Well c’mon then.” Niall spat out. He was scared, but he did his best to hide it. He knew better than show that he actually feared this guy. 

Lucas’ fist appeared centimeters from Niall’s nose, who had to make himself not to flee the field. “I would, but it’s against my principles to fight guys who don’t have a chance to fight back.” Lucas smirked.

“Really?” Niall raised his eyebrows and put his hands in his pockets so Lucas wouldn’t see them shake. “But it’s okay to hit girls?”

Lucas took a step closer, he was furious now. “You little shit, I should fucking-“

“Lucas? Niall?” Bree showed up in the doorway and interrupted their nice conversation. Saved by the bell, Niall.

“Hi baby.” Lucas smiled. “This isn’t over, Horan.” he muttered in Niall’s ear as he pushed him aside to get to Bree.

“Good bye, Niall.” Bree said with raised eyebrows.

“Bye.” Niall mumbled and hurried to his car. As he was in safety behind locked doors, he could finally breathe. “Damn, that was too close…”

(A/N: Hope you like the first chapter! I'd love to hear your opinions xx)