Chapter 4: Jenny

FOUR

Jenny

Claire and I arrive at Delilah's Fast & Honest Diner; everyone just called it Delilah's because that was the name of the stout middle-aged woman who owned it. It had been Delilah's son that had given the name to the restaurant. Who knows why he had to pick Fast & Honest but no one really questioned it anymore. Most people didn't really hang around Delilah's son, Humbert, on principle because he was; well, for want of a better word... strange.

Many rumors circulated and no one really knew the truth. His father had long abandoned him and Delilah but no one really knew who he was. The romantics believe that he had been Delilah's high school sweetheart and knocked her up before disappearing completely because he felt like he had dishonored her.

Others say, that Delilah's father, for getting Delilah pregnant, had beaten him to death, as he is known to be very overbearing and ridged. Then there were those who rationally believe that he had just been a coward and left when he heard the news of Delilah's pregnancy because he was scared of having to grow roots or of having that much responsibility at such a young age. The bottom line is: Humbert is strange and people avoid him.

I push open the door of the diner and get blasted with all the wonderful smells that are seeping under the kitchen door. Delilah's is like an institution in this town, everyone knew about it and cared about it. Aunt Del, for that was what we all called her, wasn't at the counter so I figured she must be in the kitchen.

"Oh my lord I need to get something to eat pronto!!" I groan whilst slipping into a booth in the corner behind the main counter. Claire laughs at me and I stick my tongue out at her. I spot Delilah shuffling out of the kitchen and start to wave frantically.

"I'll be righ' with ya Jenny ma dear," she calls.

"Thanks, Aunt Del!"

Claire is looking out the window, a faraway look in her eyes. That girl is always daydreaming. I smile at her fondly before deciding to bring her back to the real world. I snap my fingers in front of her eyes and they dart back to my face.

"Sorry about that, just having some thoughts."

"And then some," I mutter.

Claire pulls a face before twisting around in her seat and searching for Aunt Del only to see her waddling her way towards us, a coffee pot and two ivory china mugs wobbling precariously on a worn circular plastic tray.

"Good Mornin' lovelies, what can I get you?" says Aunt Del cheerfully, her thick mid-western accent as evident as ever.

I take in the familiar lines of her round face. Her cheeks are rosy and shiny, even at this early time of the day. Her round cerulean eyes crinkle at the edges from her smile and her cotton paisley dress is a little strained at the seams but nonetheless pretty and clean.

Without even looking at the menu, Claire orders a ham and cheese omelet over whole-wheat toast for herself and blueberry waffles with extra maple syrup and a side of cantaloupe for me.

Aunt Del nods and set the mugs down before pouring the steaming, earthy-smelling, coffee into both of our mugs then going towards the back to take care of another customer.

"Do you want some coffee with your sugar?" I ask Claire who had been drowning her coffee in sugar.

She smirks before adding: "Ha, ha, it was tasting extra bitter this morning, and anyway, you know I add sugar to almost everything."