Chapter 1 x

10 Years Later

[Niall’s POV]

Today would be another traumatic day… Let’s just say that I knew I was going to be slightly agitated because in some fashion he would screw up the mission. I took a deep internal sigh and kept walking around the ballroom. Everyone was dressed nicely for this gala, but no one paid too much attention to me. I was grateful for that. I wanted this sequence to go seamlessly, but knowing my partner, it wasn’t going to happen like that.

It wasn’t that my partner couldn’t measure up to me… actually no one could beat me. I’m the top agent in the business, but still that’s not what I meant. My partner couldn’t match up to a turtle. If you think I’m kidding then be my guest and take him off of my hands. When I got placed with the kid six months ago I didn’t think I’d be doing monitored work like I was two years ago when I was 17.

*Flashback Time*

6 Months Ago

“Agent Horan please come to Sector 2. Agent Horan at Sector 2 immediately.”

I snapped my head up as I heard my name being called. I adjusted my suit and fixed my hair a bit. My brown roots were showing a bit, but it contrasted nicely with the blonde in my hair. When I was content with my appearance I headed over to Sector 2 to see what was going on.

As I walked down the corridor, a lot of the other agents gave me looks of pity? I didn’t let it bother me. I shrugged it off and went about my day.

“Yo Horan!”

I turned around and saw older brother, Greg, running towards me with a huge smile on his face. He works for the agency as well.

“Hey bro. What’s up?”

“I just wanted to give you a heads up about what you’re walking into. Just be prepared okay?” Greg said with a blank expression.

I was slightly weirded out by Greg’s sudden warning, but I didn’t think much of it. I just nodded and waved goodbye at my older brother and finally made my way to Sector 2.

“Ah Horan!”

As the doors opened, I saw Charles, head of Synco, standing before me with a warm smile.

“Hey Charles. Why’d you call me over here?”

“Well I have some news for you. You see, Liam will no longer be working with you out on the field.”

“What do you mean?” My face fell as I realized what he was beginning to say.

“Well you see, I’ve chosen Liam to be the next head of the agency. He has what it takes and well I need him to start hanging around here a bit more. I know this is hard for you Niall,” he said as he placed a hand on my shoulder, “but I have some great news!” He ended happily.

I looked up at him with slight hope in my eyes. “What is it?”

He laughed and said, “You look like I just bought you a chain of Nando’s!”

I just smiled and started rocking on the heels of my feet. “Well Charlie? What’s my surprise!?”

“Alright, alright. Well I got you another partner because I know how much you love those types of missions.”

I fist pumped in the air. Charlie knew me like a book. I loved the missions that the partner agents get. They were the best and never boring. Liam and I always had some exciting adventures when we went out on missions.