Chapter 4

Pulling up on the side of the road next to Audrey's house, I look out the window of Kaden's truck to see people hanging out with red solo cups on her lawn as well as people entering and leaving out her front door, all drunk off their butts (I'm not allowed to cuss). There is loud music playing and you can see the strobe lights inside her house filtering through the windows.

I gulp, there's a lot of people here... I look over at Kaden to see a neutral look on his handsome face. This probably isn't anything new for him as he probably goes to parties like this all the time. I on the other hand haven't, this is my first time. Not that I haven't gotten invited to them, I just haven't mustered up enough courage to go til now, not to mention the fact that Hayley had forced me.

Kaden gracefully gets out of the tall truck and comes around to the passenger side to help me down. When he opens the door, I go to step out only to have my heel get caught on the stepping rail and I fall unceremoniously head first out of the truck. Before my body connects with the ground, two strong arms grab me by the waiste and help me back onto my feet.

I look up at Kaden to give my thanks when he has to go and ruin it by saying, "Aww! Is the big truck too much for the little midget? Does the little midget need big, strong Kaden to help her up and out of the seat? Don't worry, your not alone, Hayley is just as challenged as you are when it comes to getting out of trucks" Kaden cooes in a degrading tone, patting my head like you would a child. I glare up at him and he busts out laughing at my facial expression.

Humph! Well if he's going to be that way then I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of staying here while he stands there and laughs at me. Kneeing him where the sun don't shine, I whisper in his ear as he leans over and cups the area in pain, "Who's the midget now?" Walking away from him and in the direction of Audrey's house I spot Hayley and Kyle getting out of Kyle's truck a few yards away from us and walk over to them, looping my arm through hers on the side that Kyle wasn't holding.

"Hey Rose! Where's Kaden? Shouldn't he be with you?" Hayley asks me, scanning our surroundings. "The jerks over there," I mutter, pointing in the direction of Kaden's laughing form. "What did he do this time? Did he hurt you?! I swear I'm going to kick his butt if he-" I cut her off saying, "Oh don't worry, I already cut him down to size. When I was getting out of his truck my heel got caught on the stepping rail, so of course I lost my balance and fell. He caught me thankfully, but when I went to say thank you he started making fun of me. He said the big truck was, and I quote, 'too much for little midget me', treating me like a kid! He patted me on the head and then laughed at me! I didn't want to stand there and be made fun of any longer so I kneed him where the sun don't shine and said 'Who's the midget now?' Which leads me to why I am here now, with you."

Wrapping her arm over my shoulder, Hayley says, "Don't take it personal Rose. I'm sure he wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. But I applaud you for sticking it to the man. You know him, he loves messing with people." Taking in what she says, I giggle, "Oh yeah I stuck it to the man! He'll think twice before messing with me again" Rubbing my shoulder, she exclaimes, "I have an idea! We'll make him jealous! Then he will regret everything he said to you once I'm through with him. Muahahaha!"

She leans over and whispers in Kyle's ear too softly for me to hear, then grabs my hand and starts walking. I noticed Kyle wasn't walking with us so I turn around to find him walking off somewhere. What did Hayley tell him? "Hayley, why isn't Kyle walking with us? Where did he go?"

"I told him of my plan to help you make Kaden jealous and he understood so he's just going to find something to do while I work my magic," she says nonchalantly. "And how exactly are you going to 'work your magic'?" I question. An evil grin makes it's way across her face as she says mysteriously, "Oh, you'll see."