chapter two

Lustre's the only child in their family. Her parents named her Nadine Alexis Lustre, but more comfortable being called by others by her second name. Truth be told, the only ones who can call her with her first name is her parents and a friend, which happens to be Reid. And by calling her that, the three of them have the same reason; either they're mad or plain serious that needed Lustre's full attention. She is with her parents, who own a well-known brand of clothing. She grew up with a heart that is very close to people younger than her. Her dream is to have a younger sibling either a girl or a boy, but their life status doesn't permits, because her parents are so busy with their business. It's okay on Lustre's part, what matters to her the most is they are complete and all healthy.

Meanwhile on the other end, James Reid's the youngest in their family, having two sisters that are older than him. Next to him is Lauren Reid, and their eldest is Ashley Reid. Ashley happens to be an actress here in the Philippines and Lauren is a professional photographer in the US. Lauren lives in the US also with their parents because their business is there. Kaya ang nasa Pilipinas lang ay si James at ang ate niyang si Ashley na kalimitan ay wala pa sa kanila dahil busy sa pagiging artista. James is living with his childhood bestfriend slash cousin, Charles. He doesn't mind it na kung sino pa 'yong mga miyembro ng pamilya niya eh hindi pa 'yon ang kasama niya. It was fully explained to James that their situation will be like that, okay na din 'yon para kay James kaysa pati siya ay sa US na manirahan. He won't let that happen, for sure.

Both Lustre and Reid are taking up Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies, while Charles's taking up Bachelor of Science in Accountancy in the same university, JACK FORD UNIVERSITY (JFU). Ever since High School (Junior year) magkakilala na si Lustre at si Reid. Same class, first section. 'Yon ang naging daan kung paano naging mas malapit ang dalawa sa isa't isa. When it comes to closeness, next to each other's family, they have each other as nexts. That close. It was very unforgettable for Lustre when she first met Reid. Reid's a mess that time, crying, hands are bruised, the look of someone who just got into a fist fight, totally a mess...

Lustre's very happy today because she received a gift from her parents this morning, pero hindi niya pa ito nabubuksan. Iniwan niya ito sa kanila at sinabi sa sariling mamaya na ito buksan pagkauwi galing ng school. She was so happy that she even sings while she walks her way to their class. But on her way, few rooms away sa room nila may narinig siyang tugtog sa loob ng isang room.

Kailan ba nagsimulang matapos ang lahat
kaya ba ang anumang hindi pagtatapat
Aminado sigurado di gaanong nagampanan
Ang pangakong ginawa ko kaya lalo kang nasaktan

'Ang lungkot naman 'nun!' said Lustre at the back of her mind.

Ang simoy ng hangin na lamang ang tanging
Kayakap sa piling ng napiling iwanan ka
At waring ang buhay may taning
Di kayang sabihing madali ring bitawan ka
At ngayon masaya ka na sa kanya
At sakin hindi ka na muling babalik
Babalik babalik babalik pa

It was after those lines of the song when she figured out kung sino 'yung nasa loob ng room. Without having to try na silipin kung sino 'yong nasa loob, alam na niya agad.

Patuloy mang magsisi di na mababawi
Araw-araw sa 'king pag gising
Habang buhay na dadalhin

It was Reid. Original composition niya 'yang natugtog. Babalik. Lustre knew that it was his song because the day before yesterday, naging usap-usapan sa school nila ang pagkanta ni Reid ng kantang 'yon sa harap ng isa nilang kaklase, si Erin. Erin Villavicer. Trying to win the girl back. James pleading, crying, in short, looking so damn stupid in front of Erin and... everyone. Not to mention na sa Canteen nangyari ang lahat.

Ang simoy ng hangin na lamang ang tanging
Kayakap sa piling ng napiling iwanan ka
At waring ang buhay may taning
Di kayang sabihing madali ring bitawan ka
At ngayon masaya ka na sa kanya
At sakin hindi ka na muling babalik
Babalik babalik babalik pa 

After an endless battle whether she'll come inside the room or not, her first choice won. And Lo' and behold a James Reid seated on the floor looking a total mess. He's wasted. He's wrecked. It hit her that she saw James crying again. A guy crying.

'That bitch!' naisip-isip ni Lustre, pertaining to Erin.