Twenty

So, it's safe to say that the dinner was probably as uncomfortable as an evening could get. Michael and Mr. Lanson spoke freely, and easily, which made Peyton extremely happy but the problem was her mother. She shouldn't really have expected anything less from the woman but she thought she could at least show some class when they had a guest over. Manners don't cost anything, unfortunately her mother seemed to have forgotten hers somewhere before they had even arrived.

Luckily, the dinner was over now, and Mr. Lanson had invited Michael to come and enjoy a drink in the study with him. He was nervous at first, asking Peyton if she minded but she happily smiled with a shake of her head, and kissing his cheek lightly before the two men exited the large dining room. Michael was actually glad that he would get a moment alone with Peyton's father. He really liked him, and thought he was a nice man, unlike what he had actually expected of him, seeing where he lived.

They now sat on a large green leather couch, each with a tumbler of bourbon in their hands as they spoke quietly. Mr. Lanson asked Michael about his upbringing, and schooling. The usual questions a father would want to know about their daughter's boyfriend, especially since he knows that they are living together.

At the moment, he was asking Michael about what he wanted to do with his life and with his future, and asking if he had had any luck in finding that new job he was looking for. "I haven't found anything yet, unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be any jobs for what I can do." Michael spoke sadly.

"What can you do, exactly?" Mr. Lanson asked him.

"Not much," he laughed lightly, shaking his head, "I didn't go to uni, I barely scraped through my HSCs. I'm just not good at school, and things like that. That's why I have to work in a store, stacking up shelves. That's the only place that will employ me."

Mr. Lanson nodded slowly, taking a sip of his drink. He didn't quite understand what Michael was going through, he'd never had to worry about what he wanted to do, it was always known that he would join the family business, and follow in his father's footsteps but there was something about Michael that made the man smile.

No, he wasn't from money, and no, he didn't go to university but he saw something in him, a want to be better, a need to be more. He could see it in his eyes, and he wondered if Michael would be the person to follow in his footsteps. By spending time with him, he knew that Peyton had made the right choice, and why she had fallen in love with him. He was humble, and sweet, and actually kind of funny, and he looked at his baby girl like she was everything, so he took another sip of his drink, and then asked, "how are you and Peyton getting along?"

"Really well," Michael smiled widely, "she's amazing. You raised an incredible woman."

"Thank you," Mr. Lanson laughed, "I tried my best. I'm sure you understand that I have to ask what your intentions are with her."

Michael nodded, "yeah, I understand. I actually um, I have something I want to ask you, if that's okay?" Peyton's father nodded, and Michael continued, "well, as you know, I'm looking for a job, a better job because I want to be able to give everything I can to Peyton because she deserves it, all of it. I love her, truly, more than anything. I've actually been saving up some money, as much as I can, it's not a lot but... I really want to ask her to marry me. I can't yet, I haven't got enough for a ring good enough but I wanted to tell you first, for when I can afford one, and it would be really nice to know that I have your blessing." He looked at the man opposite him, and held his breath, waiting for an answer.

Peyton's father was quiet for a moment before he got up, and walked over to his desk. Michael sighed deeply as the man disappeared behind him, he should have known that he would say no. There's a difference between liking someone, and thinking that they are good enough to marry your daughter. Michael felt like such an idiot, looking down at his lap, disappointed that he wasn't the man that Mr. Lanson wanted for his only child... that was, until he felt a light tap on his shoulder.

He looked up at the man, and noticed he was holding a small dark red velvet box, "here," Mr. Lanson said, handing it to him. Michael furrowed his eyebrows but took it, and slowly opened the box, his eyes going wide, "it was my mother's, and her mother's before her, and so on. I've been waiting for the right time to pass it on. Now is that time."

Michael was speechless as he looked at the beautiful antique ring. It was absolutely stunning, and completely unique. It's subtle filigree detail on the silver band, wrapping around a princess cut emerald gem was perfect for Peyton, it was effortlessly breathtaking, just like she was. "Mr. Lanson," Michael said quietly, looking up at him, "are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure," he held his hand out to him, and Michael stood, shaking it with a smile as he placed the box into his pocket, "you have my blessing, Michael but don't hurt my baby girl, or I'll hurt you." He laughed, and Michael chuckled.

As he went to tell him that that was the last thing he wanted to do, shouting was heard from outside. Both looked at each other before Peyton's father lead then out, and into the living room where the noise was coming from. When they got there, Peyton's mother was standing in front of her daughter with a scowl on her face, as Peyton cried into her hands. "What the hell is going on here?" Mr. Lanson asked loudly, making Peyton flinch, looking up at them before running into Michael's arms.

"I want to go home. I want to leave... now." She sobbed into his chest, and he wrapped his arms around her tightly.

"What did you do to her?" Michael glared at her mother.

"No," Peyton told him, "I want to go, let's just go, please."

Michael looked at Peyton's father, and he nodded, rubbing her back, kissing her head sweetly, "I'll come visit you soon, Pumpkin." Mr. Lanson whispered to her. He patted Michael on the back with a tight smile, and watched as they left, knowing that this was probably the last time Peyton would ever set foot in the house she grew up in.