Chapter 13.

Every word would fall short to describe how terribly embarrassed I was of my deeds. And then getting caught red-handed for it by none other than Devon made the picture appear much worse. I wish I could go back in time to fix my mistake but then that would mean waking up in a fantasy story.

Which was not possible. Instead, the next morning I woke up with a mission inscribed in my head. To avoid Devon come what may even if that would mean drilling holes in the walls and hiding inside them. Well, not literally, but you got the picture, right?

Trespassing was an offence, something which I had considered doing and actually did. The last thing I wanted was Devon to ridicule me about it. And everybody knows how blunt his words are. Jeez.

But my plans fell through just an hour after I reached school when I suddenly found myself face to face with Devon inspite of being vigilant and stealthy while using the hallways.

His sharp eyes studied me and I tried to play as cool as possible.

"Whom are you searching for, or rather, whom are you hiding from?" he asked, a ridiculing tone underlying his quirky voice.

"Nobody, or rather, nobody," I drawled.

I was about to make a move--

"Wait, I believe you want to say something to me," he stood in my way.

"No, thanks."

"Aww, didn't know you give up so easily even without trying," he taunted, "But I'll give you hints. It's a five letter word that begins with an 'S' and ends with 'y' and normally said by a person after having committed a wrong deed like forgetting to announce their presence in their next-door neighbor's house."

I noted the sarcasm in his voice. I swear my eyebrows must have twisted in anger.

"Oh, I have a better word to tell you," I smiled sweetly at him. "It's a nine letter word that begins with a 'H' and ends with an 'e'. And guess what, it's 'Hypocrite'. After all, eavesdropping is your esteemed job, isn't it?"

Devon chuckled as though I was being an ass. "How many times have I to explain it to you that talking to a pig is not called a private conversation?"

I will bang his head into a wall. Someday. One day. Soon.

"You know what? I don't think you're bothered that I overheard you and Jackson but you're rather annoyed over the fact that I saw you cry."

That stumped him. Yes.

I spoke further defensively."But let me tell you this that crying is not copyrighted by girls. Crying ain't a sign of weakness either as most guys think. Crying tells you that you're human enough to feel pain and that you have a heart."

Devon crossed his arms over his chest and gave me a sombre look. "Since you have accepted that I have a heart, hope you will also understand that I like you."

Now I was stumped, my heart missing a beat. I averted my eyes off him and left from there.

I nearly bumped into Kelly and her cronies at a turn which was a nasty business altogether.

"Watch where you're going, bitch," she snapped at me."I can understand that you're in a hurry to hide your ugly face from the world but how dare you get in my way."

I rolled my eyes. " Pardon me for having a vulgar personality like you," I drawled in sarcasm.

Kelly's loud make-up face twisted into an ugly smirk."You can say whatever shit you want, bitch, but Devon will be mine very soon. He will be in my bed, mark my words."