Chapter 36.

Instagram: rashmita_b

"How was your sleepover, sugar?" asked Gran brightly when I got home the next morning.

"It was great! Stef and I watched 'Friends' but mostly we chatted till dawn," I smiled. And then we had made sandwiches for breakfast and munched it with a lot of mayonnaise.

It was weird coming back home with the thought that Devon was no longer my neighbor. Technically, he didn't even reside in Crawford Lane now. He lived on the outskirts of the neighborhood. It would sound crazy but somehow the fact that Devon wasn't staying in the vicinity left an unsettling feeling crawling under my skin...

Later in the day, there was a knock on the front door but when I opened it, I found nobody stood outside. I was about to shut the door----

"Eleanor, down here!"

I looked down upon hearing that innocent, cute, cheerful and baby voice and saw little Jackson stood at the doorstep beaming at me.

A big smile spread on my face too. I bent down on my knees as we hugged tight.

" How are you baby?!" I chirped. "So happy to see you on your feet and smiling again!"

"I'm great and happy happy to be back home," the tiny tot replied, still hugging me with his soft small hands.

"When did you come sweetheart? " I asked lovingly once he parted.

"Just a little time back," he responded. "I hated staying in the hospital for so so so long..." he trailed off sadly.

"Don't worry, honey," I said, cheering him up. "We're never gonna go to the hospital ever again. We're not even gonna think about it. We're gonna have lots of fun, do you favorite things and eat your favorite candies, what say?"

The huge smile returned to his face hearing that. I giggled. It felt so amazing to see him happy!

Gran was over the moon seeing the tiny tot. It's a known fact that Gran was a child at heart so when Jackson and she got talking, it couldn't have got any cuter and adorable! We gave the little boy his favorite cupcakes, chocolates and nachos. And the smile on his face and the shine in his eyes touched my heart.

I missed Jackson a lot. It was wonderful to have him around again.

"Eleanor..." the kid muttered doubtfully when Gran wasn't there.

"Yes, tell me," I said fondly.

"Where is Devon...?" he asked, looking at me in apprehension.

The question caught me off guard even though I knew it was coming. My lips parted but no words came out. I didn't know what to tell him. I didn't know how to tell him. I didn't have an explanation for the kid and I realized the predicament was showing well enough for him to understand.

"You're quiet. T-That means something is wrong..." he hiccupped. "I ran upstairs to Devon's room when I got home but he wasn't there. All of his stuff was gone. Did-Did he leave the house forever because he is mad at me for something...? I-I was a good boy in the hospital. I-I took all those bitter medicines without causing any trouble... I didn't cry, I was brave then-then why did he leave..."

"Jackson--Jackson calm down," I hugged him, trying to soothe him. "Devon is waiting for you. We will see him very soon."

***

I was standing in front of the vintage penthouse that was situated right across the woods. With Jackson. We rang the bell and a tired yet handsome looking Devon opened the door. He couldn't contain his joy upon seeing the tiny tot.