Chapter 18

Vic's POV

There is nothing more accelerating and fascinating but all at the same time, the most terrifying situation to find yourself in, than realizing that you were falling. Not from a building, or from a plane, not even from the highest point on the roller coaster. So what was I falling from? Love. And as cheesy as it may sound, it was the most true thing I had ever thought of. Because it was fun to feel that drop feeling in the center of your stomach whenever you saw her, but it was also a frightening thought that you had two ways of screwing things up.

1. Never tell her how you feel till you burst from the inside out when you see her with someone else
2. Risk telling her and then going out for a week before your heart is crushed again because she pulls the, 'I'm not looking for anything serious' line.

Let's be honest, we're juniors in high school. High school. Only about 5% of high school relationships will last barely a week, let alone a month. And when you finally have the girl of your dreams, I always ruin it by thinking of this one thought that scares the absolute living shit out of me. Again, now that you are in a relationship, there are two more choices that must be made and could drive any man absolutely insane. But in this situation there is no way out. It's either one or the other.

1. Break up with her
2. Get married and then have three of your children ruin your life

But when comparing the those two choices, the answer for any sane high school boy seems more than obvious which is exactly the reason I did not like to date. And then in the end, guess what? After dating a month, I'm the one who's pulling the, 'I'm not looking for anything serious' line. 

But even after all of these reasons, and choices I had to make someday, I still wanted her. I wanted to make Taylor mine more than anything in the world. More than I wanted to finally get out of this school and graduate. More than I wanted superpowers. That was exactly what I was doing here at this flower shop an hour before school starts.

18 minutes to pick out the perfect flowers,
15 minutes to get back to school,
20 minutes to get myself together (because let's face it, by that time I'll be a nervous wreck),
7 minutes to actually find her and then ask her out.

It was a master plan. "Hi, may I help you?" A girl with short blonde hair asks as she looks up at me.

I think for a few moments whether or not I should tell her about why I was here. Only it's possible she could already guess, because what guy my age is here other than to get the girl? Of course it could be for a funeral... or for their moms which that would just be-- awkward. "Uh- Well, I'm kind of trying to ask a girl... out." I say lowering my voice, suddenly wishing I had just told her no.

She brightens her face and her blue eyes light up. "Oh yay!" She says excitedly as she claps her hands together. "I love helping out in situations like this! Don't worry, you've been put in good hands!" She says firmly as the girl raises her arm and clenched fist in the air victoriously.

I smile kindly to her and glance down at her name tag; Hello My Name Is Cara. I read in my head. Cara... that's a nice name. I'm not even paying much attention to what she was saying. I was mostly just thinking about how I would be asking Taylor out. 

"So have you decided yet?" She asks me. Oh shit. I didn't hear one thing she said at all.

I stutter nervously and make a random choice. "T- that one..." I say as I point my index finger toward a small bouquet of red roses.

"Awe!" She coos as she reaches for it. "That's so sweet to get that one! I swear, you're going to make this girl so happy!" She leads me to the front counter. "It's $7.50, but since you seem like a genuinely nice guy, you can pay $4.00 and I'll be happy to accept."