Ch. 5: He Must Be a Great Actor, Then

"Okay, dude. See ya," Zack monotoned as he hung up with Seth. "What's up?" I casually asked, trying my best to mask my desire to hear about him. "I'm going over to Seth's house after school," he answered. "You hurry up and finish your cereal," he added before heading in the direction of the bathroom. "Do you need a ride to school?" Zack paused and turned on his heel, waiting for my answer. "I'm fine," I insisted, shoveling spoonfuls of cereal into my mouth. As Zack walked away, I heard him mutter under his breath, "Should've known." I playfully rolled my eyes as I gulped down the milk from my bowl. I hurriedly washed my dishes and headed to my room. I only had five more minutes to be to school in time, so I picked out an outfit without seeing what it was and threw it on. I then pulled my long blonde hair into a messy bun atop my head, and headed to the front door, backpack lazily hanging from one shoulder. "Bye, Zack! Love you!" I shouted over my shoulder as I stepped outside. It was warmer than usual for this time of day. I clutched my backpack tightly as I ran to school, arriving just as the bell rang. 

I arrived at first period, panting in the doorway. I heard many snickers throughout the class, but only received a deathly glare and a menacing point to a desk from the teacher. I followed the direction of his finger to my desk and sat down, allowing him to continue. About five minutes into class, I got a poke on the shoulder from my left. I looked across the 10-inch gap between  the rows of desks and into the oceanic eyes of Seth Rayford. "What's up?" he casually whispered. I smiled and replied, "Nothing much, you?" He grinned. "Eh, just in the middle of a boring math cla-," Seth was cut off by the teacher. "Mr. Rayford! I'd like to see you after class," he casually stated before moving on. Seth and I didn't talk for the rest of the time. It seemed like the bell held off ringing for five hours, but when it did ring, it seemed as though the teacher had forgotten about his meeting with Seth, so he walked me to my next class, Science. "So, uh, how's it going?" Seth attempted at conversation. I playfully rolled my eyes. "It's going," I replied, looking at my shoes. Suddenly, Seth walked in front of me and stopped. Not expecting this, I ran right into his chest. I looked up at him and blushed. "Sorry," I mumbled. I tried to move around him, but he just mirrored my movements. Realizing that it was useless to try to move around him, I gave up and looked him in the eye. "What do you want?" I asked, trying not to sound rude. "Well, I was wondering, if, you, I don't know," Seth was the one to look at his shoes this time. "Yes?" I prompted, with a little too much hopefulness lining my tone. "Well, do you wanna, I don't know, maybe go out some time?" Seth looked right into my eyes as he said this, his cheeks becoming a shade of red. I felt my own cheeks warm up as I mustered the courage to answer. "Yeah, sounds great. When?" Seth scratched the back of his head as he thought of an answer. "I was thinking, maybe tonight? After school?" He looked expectantly into my eyes, gauging how I'd answer. I nodded. "Sounds good to me," I answered happily. Seth beamed and we hurried to our next class, since we only had about half a minute before the bell rang.

Science dragged on, until the bell rang like heaven in my ears. Seth walked beside me until we reached my locker. "See ya," he smiled before walking towards his locker. We were both sophomores, so we shared the same hallway, but his locker was all the way at the end of it. I was unloading my books into my locker for the day when a sharp pain shot through my toe.
"Ow!" I whisper-shouted. I looked down at my toe to see what had happened, only to have a very high, pointy Prada heel obstruct my view. I looked back up to see the piercing brown eyes of Rachael Aspen. "What do you want?" I asked, sizing her up. I felt a lot braver than usual for some reason. "I want you to stay away from Seth," she said through clenched teeth, her long, wavy, strawberry blonde hair seeming to stick out in all directions. I scoffed. "What are you gonna do if I don't?" I taunted, leaning closer. I glanced to my side and saw that a small crowd had gathered. "Listen, you idiot. Seth doesn't even like you, so I'd back off, if I were you " Rachael leaned back and crossed her arms, trying her best to appear as sassy as possible. I rolled my eyes. "Show me some proof, and maybe I will," I retorted. Rachael's eyes flashed with fury. "Okay, either you really are as stupid as everyone thinks you are, or Seth is a really good actor. Don't you know? We've been together now for three years," she spat. Those words almost stung, I'll admit that much. By this time, the small crowd had grown into a huge mob of kids. It was my turn to cross my arms. "Like I said, where's the proof?" I responded, letting the last word hang in the air like the cold on a winter morning. "It's right here," Rachael turned on her heel and sashayed down the hall towards Seth, raised her eyebrows at me, and grabbed the front of his shirt. He looked surprised at first, but then laid his hands on her waist and kissed her. They didn't even finish before I shoved my way through the crowd and ran out the front doors, sobbing. What did I get myself into?

Hey, readers! So things got a little heated in this chapter, eh? I bet you guys didn't see that coming XP. Anywho, feel free to vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this chapter. Until the next update.....

P.S.: This is officially the longest chapter in the book so far, ending at 1011 words exactly! Yay!