Ch. 9: Something Different

"What?!" Kacey screamed in my ear as we gathered books from our lockers. "Did I stutter?" I teased, closing my locker as I turned to her. "I can't believe he kissed you," she whispered, suddenly gaining her composure. "I can't either. And just imagine what Zack will think," I muttered, mostly to myself. Kacey cringed in pity for me. "Yeesh, good luck with that one," she called over her shoulder as she turned towards her first period class. I sighed as I made sure I was holding all my things securely. What a friend.

Lunch finally came, and I was starving. I walked with Kacey to the line as we talked. "You're gonna tell me all the details later, right?" she prodded. I rolled my eyes. "Of course I am," I huffed. Just as I was about to actually reach the food, I fell flat on my face. Mutters of amusement sounded throughout the line as I gathered myself. "Good one, Rachel," a guy's voice called out from behind me. I rolled my eyes. Just as I was about to sit up, a sharp object stabbed my back and I fell back to the floor. "Ha, that's for stealing my man, bitch," Rachael's voice sounded close to my ear, her stiletto heel pressing even harder into my back. "Hey! Get away from her!" I heard Kacey shriek.

Good job, Kacey!

Suddenly, Rachael's heel was ripped from my back and I felt a thump behind me. Someone just fell.

Please don't be Kacey, please don't be Kacey.

I regained my composure as I righted myself and turned around, bracing myself. There on the ground in front of me, a shivering Rachael whimpered as Kacey delivered deathly blows to her face. My eyes widened in shock.

What should I do? Do I just stand here?

No, of course not, you idiot, do something, reasonable me says.
She was right. As much as I love that my best friend would go this far for me, I couldn't just let her beat up Rachael (as much as I love seeing it).

"Kacey!" I shouted, my voice surprisingly unwavering. She didn't turn to look at me, but instead kept punching Rachael. Her bottom lip was now split, and both of her eyes were black. All the high schoolers that were in the lunch line had now gathered in a tight circle around the fight, chanting and prompting Kacey to continue.

The world was spinning. I couldn't breathe. My vision blurred as I fell back to the ground. I could vaguely see the silhouette of the principal pushing her way through the students as everything went black.

             ***********************************************

"Stella? Stella! Wake up!" A frantic voice called from the distance.
The world around me was still dark, and I could only hear. I couldn't move, couldn't talk. "Come on, don't do this to me," the voice said again, seeming closer this time. I slowly came to as I peeled my eyes open. The room around me was blurry for a second before I could finally make out a face. The face that belonged to none other than Seth. I sat up with a jolt. "Where am I? Does Zack know?" I rushed out so fast that it seemed like one word. "About the fight? I came as soon as I heard. It wasn't about me, was it?" My heart raced as I looked at Seth biting his lip. God, he's so cute.

"Uh, um, well...," I trailed off. "Wait! Does. Zack. Know?" I said slowly, holding up my hand. Seth looked flustered for a second, but then answered. "Um, no, not yet. Do you want me to call him?" He asked as he rubbed the back of his neck. Heart = melted. "Uh, sure. Wait!" I said again. Seth rolled his eyes. "Yes?" "Where am I?" "Currently? Well, in the hospital. The school nurse wasn't in today, so the principal sent both you and Rachael-," he jabbed his thumb behind him, where an unconscious Rachael lay in the hospital bed beside me. Geez, Kacey got her good. "To the hospital to make sure you both got checked on," Seth finished, looking at me. I swallowed. "I told Ms. Gallagher that you probably didn't want Zack to know about the fight just yet, so she left the calling part to you when you woke up," Seth explained.
I nodded. "So can you call him?"

OMG!!! Am I the only one freaking out right now?! Oh, and just a heads-up, there's going to be a LOT of drama next chapter...so...yeah. Feel free to vote and/or comment. Should I write longer chapters? I don't want you guys to be silent readers; I'd enjoy some feedback. So, see ya later...