Chapter Six

Austin's POV

Austin sighed deeply as he paced his office room. He was pretty sure that he was wearing a whole into the carpet. Daniel, his best friend and right hand in the pack, was supposed to be here an hour ago. What could be so important that he would miss a meeting with his pack leader? It couldn't be more important than the meeting, could it?

Austin sighed deeply and sat down in his chair. He would wait until his friend came. In the meanwhile, he should have his mother start dinner.

He got up, left his office, went down the hall, ran down the stairs, went down that hall, through the living room, and into the kitchen.

His mother sat in the kitchen looking down at her cup of tea. He'd been starting to worry about her later. She's been leaving the house at strange hours and comes back looking tired and worn. Did she get a job that she never told him about?

"Mom?"

She jumped about a mile high and turned to look at him. Her eyes were filled with pain and sadness. She's been looking like this since the day he kicked Ella out. He shrugged. It will pass.

His mother rubbed her eyes before looking up at him again, "What is it, honey?"

He smiled, "You were supposed to start dinner ten minutes ago. You looked lost there for a second. I thought I was going to have to call the doctor."

She smiled weakly at him, "I'm fine, honey." She got up and started to get everything out and ready so she could start making dinner, "Dinner will be ready in about thirty minutes."

He smiled and sat down at the table to watch her work. He faintly her the back door open and close. Daniel was finally home and he had some explaining to do.

Austin turned to watch Daniel walk into the kitchen.